Chapter 37

"Everyone, your cupcakes should be ready in 5 minutes. So, you should start working on your icing." a loud voice coming from in front.

"Ooh, I'm so excited. I think I want to make heartshape icing on my cupcakes. What about you, Leira?" asked Rita excitedly.

Ariel who has lost his soul the moment they entered the class since morning, just nodded. He was spacing out the whole time even when he was mixing the batter. The chef always keeps an eye on him and scolded him when she get the chance. Ariel has a sense that she didn't really like him.

Ariel looked over at his fresh batch of cupcakes. Despite being blank, he managed to bake 10 cupcakes. Lucky for him, they were not burnt.

Rita is mixing her icing and she even used the red colour for it. Ariel sighed. He looked down at his mixing bowl and the colours. He really has no heart to be there. Especially after last night, he discovered another Morae's victim. Ryo dragged him out of the house early in the morning after they finished their breakfast. Morae didn't join them and that was a relief for Ariel. Ariel didn't get to tell Ryo about the photo since Ryo was rushed to get back to work.

"Black? Really, miss Leira?" the chef came to their table and she looked at Ariel's cupcakes. She judges his choice of icing as she picked up one of them and bring it closer to her face.

"I never saw any of my students decorates their cupcakes with black icing. Are you sure you didn't just want to cover the burnt sides?" she said then she smirked. Ariel can hear others chuckling behind him.

Fuck it!

Ariel clenched his fists. The chef moves to another table after she finished mocking him. Rita came closer.

"Ignore what she just said. What a cute black rose, Leira. I didn't know you have some creativity too!" unlike the chef, Rita praised his cupcakes.

"So beautiful. You have to teach me how to do roses." said Rita again. She smiled brightly while looking at Ariel which makes him flustered.

Ariel scratched his head while trying to look away from the cute face in front of him. He was embarrassed to get praised like that by Rita.

"Okay, class. Everyone can clean their station and don't forget our next class. We will be learning side dishes next time." the chef interrupted their conversation by having the announcement. She turned her head to look at Ariel.

"And don't forget to bring your OWN appron next time." she purposely look at Ariel when she punctuate on the word 'own'.

Ariel has a feeling that they will not getting along for their next classes.

***
Ue just finished bathing her mother and she noticed that she has been quiet for some time.

"You're quiet today. What's wrong?" asked Ue as she helped to dry her mother's hair using the towel.

Morae looked at Ue's reflection through the mirror. She can see the tiredness from her daughter's face.

"You must hate me, right? For all those things I had done to you, to your family." said Morae.

Ue's movement stopped. She looked at her mother. "What are you talking about?  Mum, we talked about this before. Let the past be gone."

Despite what Ue said, Morae knows she is still not moving on from the past. Ue sighed. She has finished combing her mother's hair and now she slowly turned her wheelchair.

They were moving to the dining room when suddenly Morae lifted up her face and asked Ue, "Do you still remember my friend, Theodore?"

Ue looked down at her mother. Trying to recall from her memories while Morae turned back to front.