LXXXII: A Father's Love Part I

Caras Galadhon, 3019 TA, April 15th

Thranduil spent his days at Legolas' side, awaiting the prince's awakening and assuring him that he was in good health. He kept his deceased alongside his bed but maintained his distance. He believed his touch would cause him pain. When he was hanging between reality and dreams, he clutched his hand. The injury had bled profusely. Elrond's mending procedures were effective; but, the lost blood could not be replaced. He was given any available herbs and cared for often during the days.

For the first time, the Elvenking was seen without his crown, which now weighed heavily on him. He was constantly at his son's side throughout the hour of his awakening. He was filled with rage at realising that Legolas might have been lost so easily and that he was unable to rescue him. Whenever he was left alone in the healing chamber, he attempted to maintain his composure by shedding tears.

How much more was he required to give? He contemplated Legolas while refusing to let the Valar steal him from him. Not him, and not now. He did not know what he would be required to do, but he would not let his son perish. Not from this menace or any other danger. He rose from his seat and strolled toward the view of the Mallorn-trees of Lórien, appreciating their beauty. He had forgotten what it was like to live in peace beneath the light, and he took a deep breath to enjoy a moment of rest and calm.

In the same treatment facility, farther down a corridor, a person was resting. She had just awakened and felt much better. Her first thought was of Legolas, and when she sat up, she was able to see him lying far away, accompanied by a taller person. She learned during the course of the days that Elrond, the twins, and Arwen were paying them a visit. She felt fortunate to be returning to reality without them present.

The towering figure was now facing away from her, and it was the first time she had seen him breathing while observing the tranquilly of the Golden Forest. The more he examined him, the more parallels he saw with Legolas. If asked, she might respond that they may be brothers or connected in some way. However, she disregarded the concept and rose up, realising that she was once again clad in the white silk robes supplied to the injured.

She fastened her robe and approached Legolas on tiptoe, hovering over him and gently moving his long, unbraided hair away from his face. She gently separated herself from the elf's robe and observed his bandages, which were still oozing, but at least he had regained consciousness. He had been washed and clothed, and his face was coloured. Xena was unable to tear her gaze away from him, so she just continued to stare at him.

She was suddenly pierced by fiery eyes as she stepped near the prince and continued to touch him. She raised her gaze as the elf who had been looking at her arrived across from her, his face becoming inscrutable and his eyes focusing on her. She cocked her head toward him and observed him with dispassion. Indeed, he was well acquainted with Legolas, and their gazes radiated the same power and pride.

Thranduil rose tall, his silver robe draped his slim frame, and his hand clutched his sword, but he realised he was unarmed. Now he approached her and separated her from his son. "How dare you approach him?" he demanded indignantly.

Xena awaited this response, assuming that if the male was connected to Legolas, he would not allow anybody to touch him. However, she first ignored him and returned to further brush Legolas's hair away from his face. Thranduil watched and waited; the manner in which she looked at Legolas made it obvious to him that the two were acquainted. His youngster had a peculiar habit of forming uneasy acquaintances.

This time, he addressed her in a calmer tone, "Who are you? Where were you travelling with Legolas when the orcs assaulted you?"

To her credit, she refrained from responding with the same attitude, although the notion did cross her mind. However, she now knew who the tall elf was, even without his crown. "You are his father, Elvenking," Xena replied, laying her eyes on him. "Do not be concerned; he has endured worse."