CHAPTER NINE

THE MATRIARCH.

The three of them stood in the basement of the Hackett's house. Shelves were lined up on the walls, filled with all sorts of junk while a barrel sat on the floor. The rooms only source of light was small beams on the ceiling, creating a ominous feeling. "Keep it down." Laura whispered as she looked around the room.

"You keep it down!" Ryan whisper-yelled.

"Shh!"

 Anthony suppressed a chuckle as Laura led the two of them through the room,Anthony came to a halt when he noticed a room lit only by red lights, prompting Laura to do the same. Ryan stopped when he noticed Anthony, who was peering into the red room with the help of Laura.

His eyebrows shot up once he saw none other then jacob, sitting in a cage, rocking back and forth like a scared child during a thunderstorm. Because Jacob was the first thing he saw, he missed the werewolf in a nearby cage.

"Jacob!" He exclaimed as he limped towards the boy, letting go of Laura. He dropped to his knees, ignoring the pain as he studied the boy's face.

Jacob wordlessly pointed to the cage next to his, Anthony following his arm to see the werewolf growling to itself in the corner.

Ryan was the next person to run into the room as Laura lingered by the doorframe, watching the werewolf with keen eyes even if it was contained. "Hey! Hey, it's Ryan!" He told Jacob as he leaned down next to Anthony. "Jesus, what happened to you..?"

Jacob stopped rocking, but kept his head down. Anthony frowned, whatever the boy had gone through, it effected him greatly. He had never seen Jacob look so defenseless or frightened in his life.

"Jacob, listen to me." Anthony attempted to comfort him. Jacob glanced up but still kept his head down. "I'm gonna get you out of here. I swear it—I won't leave you here. Okay?"

Anthony looked up, noticing that the large human cage was electric, and if he touched it, it would definitely shock him.

"There's a box, in the corner of the room." Jacob finally spoke, lifting his head up with a panicked expression. "I think that's how they're operated. Okay?" Anthony nodded, letting him know he was listening. "I saw this old guy—"

"Probably my grandfather." Anthony cut him off and Jacob gave him a weird look. "long story, I'll explain later."

"Right, right. So I saw your grandfather—the hunter dude from the woods, he used that." He stated, pointing to the electrical box behind Ryan on the wall.

"Did you get bitten?" Ryan asked him as Anthony moved towards the electrical box.

"Is she crazy?" Jacob abruptly asked as Laura aimed her shotgun at the werewolf in the cage. Thankfully, Ryan stopped her before she did, forcing her to lower the gun. "Wait—"

"It's him!" Laura shouted at Ryan.

"Think about it. Why would they lock him up in a cage?" Ryan tried to  reason with her.

"Then who the hell is it?"

"Who the hell is she?" Ryan corrected. "She's In charge." He let go of. The gun and turned towards the cage. "You've already got it wrong once. It might even be Alina.

"Your friend?" Laura questioned.

"Hey, listen, okay," Jacob cut in, looking at them through the square holes of the cage. "They said you've already got two of us accounted for. Whatever that means.."