Chapter 40: Rowan

I woke up at about 10, sitting up. Apparently, because of how dumb I am, I forgot that I couldn't even sit up in my bunk bed without hitting my head so I smacked my face on the wooden bars above me.

"OW!" I screeched, falling off the bed with a loud 'thud.'

"IS EVERYONE OKAY?!" Nash and Cameron ran in the room, messy hair and no shirts on, looking like they had just woken up.

"No. I hit my head," I moaned, rubbing my head.

"Hah, loser," Shawn laughed, leaning over the side of the bed and winking at me.

I glared at my boyfriend, and he grinned at me.

"I love you," he smiled, and I could hear Nash and Cameron pretending to puke in the background.

"I guess I love you too," I said, rolling my eyes and picking myself up off the ground, pushing through the boys and skipping to the kitchen.

"Hey guys!" I said happily, spinning around to face an expectant-looking Rowan.

"Tell me what happened last night, now," he growled, and right then I knew something was off.

He was unusually calm, and I was immediately scared. It was as if the whole atmosphere shifted from light-hearted and playful to deadly and dangerous.

Something bad was going to happen, I could feel it.

I sat down at the table, ignoring the signal in my head that told me to run away. I wasn't sure exactly why my instincts were telling me this wasn't safe, but I could see that something was wrong.

Rowan was poised at the table, looking strangely calm and serious. I would've assumed he would look confused, scared, even. But he didn't, he looked ready for anything, and that scared me.

"Um, well, this might sound a little weird, but Shawn and the rest of the boys are all werewolves...." I explained, not bothering to delay the truth.

"Who's the alpha?" He asked, his facade in place once again.

"Shawn," I answered, immediately regretting it.

"That's all I needed to know," he answered, and my heart stopped.

I looked at him, my adrenaline rushing.

He was a liar, just like I knew he was.

He was holding a gun, a huge one. It wasn't even the gun that scared me the most, it was who he was pointing it at.

Shawn.

"SHAWN, NO!"

I ran at him, trying to jump in front of him. I tried to save him.

But I was too late.

I was always too late.

"Emiko, what's going o-," a loud gunshot pierced the air, and all I could see was blood as I heard a crack and a loud thump, a body hitting the floor.

Rowan had shot Shawn.

******A/N******
Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know this is the second to last chapter of this book!! There will be information on a sequel in the next chapter, but thanks for reading, love you all!!