Fatherhood

Sebastian, Chris and Charlie walk to the park the next week with Charlie swinging in between the men's arms

Sebastian, Chris and Charlie walk to the park the next week with Charlie swinging in between the men's arms. "Daddy you and Seba are so strong. Can you swing me to the moon?"

"The moon? Why do you want to go to the moon?"

"So I can eat it. Mama says the moon is cheese and I love cheese!" She giggled as she swinged back and was launched in the air.

"What is your girl teaching her?" Sebastian shook his head. He turned and growled like a fake bear. "I'm gonna get you, papusa mica!"

Charlie screech and took off running towards the playground. "Daddy help!"

Chris charged in the lifted his girl up and put her on his shoulders. He ran, holding her legs as Sebastian jumped up to reach for her, their laughter filling the air. A phone rang and Sebastian stopped. He checked his phone. "I need to take it. Be right back."

Chris trotted with Charlie on shoulders. "Daddy?"

"Yes, munchkin?"

"Does this other daddy love me?"

"I don't know. You would have to ask him."

"Is it wrong if I like him?"

Chris's heart clenched. "Of course not. He's your daddy."

"You're my daddy. And I love you but I don't want to hurt your feelings. Momma says we shouldn't hurt people's feelings."

Chris stopped and pulled Charlie down and sat her next to him on the bench. "I want you listen very carefully, Charlotte. The minute you ran into my life I knew you were special. I have loved you since our Oreo date. Nothing is going to change that. Its ok to like Tom, love him even. But you are my munchkin. My feelings won't be hurt."

"I love you so much daddy." Charlie flung her arms around his neck and gripped him tight.

Tom came the long way around towards the playground and heard Chris and Charlie's voices. "I don't know him but I will try if its ok."

"Charlie, you do what you want to do ok? Your momma and I will love you and support you in whatever you do. If you want to spend more time with Tom and his kids, we'll make it work, ok? Don't worry about this. Just worry about being a kid."

Tom took a step back and decided to watch them from a distance. He sees Chris playing with Charlie in the park and sees that Chris is like himself with his boys. He watches as Chris makes sure Charlie is secure in the swing before pushing her, listening to Charlie's squeals of delight. A wave of overwhelming sadness floods is chest. He missed it. The opportunity to have his own little princess. He decides to call his dad. "Hey pop."

Thomas, everything ok son?

"Did I blow this? Neglecting Charlie?"

He could hear his father sigh and open and close a door. Son, only you can decide if you want to pursue this. She spent five years with just her mother. This is a huge change.