The Final Selection!

"Woah..." Keijo uncharacteristically gushes aloud on the trip to the Final Selection. "Look at all the wisteria. It's quite pretty." Many wisteria trees with blossoming flowers spread across a dense almost forest. Creating this almost ethereal scene.

"Do you like flowers, Keijo?" Tanjiro asks.

"Well, my mom liked them. I wouldn't say I like them enough to care for them, but I am fond of scenes like this. Although, this isn't quite the prettiest flower I've ever seen." Keijo answers.

"What was the prettiest flower you've ever seen?"

"Maybe I'll tell you later. It's a memory I'd like to keep to myself for now."

Tanjiro just nods in silence.

"Welcome to the Final Selection." Two twins, one with black hair and the other with white, say at the same time.

'They're kind of creepy, especially at this time of night...' Keijo can't help but think.

"For the next 7 days, you will have to survive on this mountain to become a member of the Demon Slayer Corps. As you can see, there is wisteria growing on these mountains. It happens year-round. However, they stop growing right around here, and from here on there is none to be found. Demons are trapped on the mountain by other Demon Slayers. So now, for 7 days, try your best to stay alive." They end their speech and send the many slayer trainees off. Many of them will not be seeing the end of this week.

"Tanjiro, from here on out, I think we should split up," Keijo states once they enter demon territory.

"Why?"

"I think it'll be taking away from the spirit of the selection process if we both work at it together."

"I think I get it. In that case, how about we split up after we deal with these demons."

As Tanjiro says that three demons jump out of the woodworks.

"It's been so long since I've tasted a human!"

"Back off! They're mine!"

"I'll be eating them first!"

They spout such lines as if they were talking about bread on the table rather than living humans.

"I'll be the first to admit that I'm nervous, but I don't think I'll lose to these guys at least," Keijo states as he unsheathes his blade.

"Let's show them all of our efforts, Keijo!" Tanjiro says.

"Water Breathing!"

"Hamon!"

The two friends display great teamwork and swordsmanship as they cut off the heads of the demons smoothly and swiftly.

"Alright, Tanjiro, see you in seven days!"

"Yep!"

Thus, the two boys split for the first time in 2 years, their paths may intertwine, but there will still be times they can only stand on their own two feet.

'I wonder how Tanjiro is. It's been... 4 days since the start of the Final Selection? All of the demons I've encountered so far are just small fry. It's strange to say, but I had a harder time getting food and water than killing them. I've learned that Hamon is just as effective on demons as it is on vampires. However, I met some demons that Hamon had a hard time affecting. It sort of slid along their skin, it wasn't a problem once I cut them, but it doesn't bode well. I've got to make my Hamon stronger or else it'll be useless.'