Saying Goodbye to My Sword

One of the bad things about being a Demon Slayer is the mornings. I very much preferred to wake up later in the day, when the Sun was well on its way to the middle of the sky. But alas, here I am, awake before it has even risen. Not like I can go back to sleep either, that'd be irresponsible for someone with my duties.

Tanjiro had also woken up at the same time as I did, the only difference is he got out of bed with a great amount of pep in his step.

"Good morning, Keijo!" Tanjiro beams. His energy wakes me up completely as I hop out of bed and get ready.

"It's a shame we have to leave soon, but we've got people to protect." I sigh defeatedly.

"Oh, Keijo! I forgot to tell you, but I think there's someone else living with Urokodaki. There was a different scent, I think it was that one girl who took you to the Wisteria House." Tanjiro explains. "Her name was Samara Lillows if I remember correctly."

"I'm still shocked as to how you remember her name when you haven't even met her." I look at Tanjiro exasperatedly.

"I always match names to scents!" If it was any other person I feel they would have taken this opportunity to make a jab at me.

"And I will never understand how you do that. Oh well, let's go greet Urokodaki. He's certainly up by now." The former Hashira was always up earlier than us somehow, even when I specifically woke up earlier to surprise him.

Tanjiro and I walk out of our shared room and, low and behold, Urokodaki and presumably his new student were waiting for us. Urokodaki must be working her quite hard if she's up this early yet doesn't look sleepy.

Urokodaki nods at us, his way of saying good morning, while Samara seems to be surprised. "We were waiting for you two to wake up. This is Samara Lillows, my new student. She was getting some groceries yesterday, so that's why the three of you didn't meet before now."

"Hello! I'm Tanjiro Kamado! We didn't see each other at the Wisteria House, so it's nice getting to look at you! I'm Keijo's friend. He and I learned here together." Tanjiro greets the girl kindly.

The conversation pauses for an awkward, brief moment. I really don't know what to say to her. Because I honestly just kind of dumped her off over here since I had no clue what to do with her. I couldn't just let her follow me, although I do feel a little guilty.

"I see you convinced my teacher to take you in." I decide to just play it cool and gloss over any re-introductions. I might've played the wrong card because she just glares at me. I look away from her piercing eyes.

"You're not going to say anything about how you haven't sent a single letter or any news for the past 6 months?!" She nearly screams authoritatively at my face.

"I was supposed to write letters?" I just look at her confusedly. Urokodaki seems to sigh disappointedly and Tanjiro squirms a little.

"Yes?!" She shouts confusedly. "Don't you want to keep in contact with sensei, at least?! People can't know anything about you if you don't communicate with them!"

"Oh... I just assumed he was in the know. I can send you some letters every now and then if you want, Urokodaki." I turn to the old man in the middle of my sentence. He just nods, sipping some tea with a serene gait.

"U-um... why don't Keijo and I get going. Our next mission is going to start soon." Tanjiro seems slightly nervous for some reason.

"Seems a bit hasty, but that's fine with me," I respond.

"Great! Haha, it's been nice to meet you!" Tanjiro starts ushering me out of the door, I get one last look at Samara before leaving. Her hair seems to be covering her face in shadow. I wonder why she was almost yelling.

"Hold on a moment, Tanjiro. There's one thing I want to do before we get going." I pause as the door closes and we are hit with the cold mountain air.

"What is it?" The burgundy-haired teen looks at me with curiosity.

"Just follow me, it's easier that way." I dash off in a certain direction with Tanjiro close behind.

---

"Here we are." I stop us at a familiar clearing. The boulders were still here, surprisingly.

"Oh! Did you want to see if Sabito and Makomo were still here?" Tanjiro asks.

"No... it'd be nice if they were, but I didn't come here for that. This spot is just an important spot, so I feel it's only right to do this here." I state as move my fingers along the smooth cut I made in one of the boulders.

"Is this related to what you and Urokodaki talked about yesterday?" Tanjiro questions as he looks at his own boulder.

"It is. He helped me come to a realization. And to grow from that wake-up call, I'm going to mark the occasion." I grab my sword and hold it parallel to my palms. One hand underneath the guard and the other underneath the blade.

"If I'm to improve as a swordsman, I'm going to have to re-learn swordsmanship. If I leave this thing with me, I'm afraid it's going to tempt me to swing it again. So-" I pause before twirling it around in my hands before holding it upside down in one hand, the top of the blade facing the ground.

"I'm going to say goodbye to this sword." I pierce the ground with my Nichirin effortlessly, a little more than a third of the metal going into the dirt. The action makes me feel a little empty, but also a little free. As if the katana was a shackle rather than a tool.

"Don't you need a sword for our next mission?" Despite my shocking actions, Tanjiro just looks at me worriedly.

"I'll just have to use my fists and legs until I get a new one, then." I smile at him. One that wasn't fake or forced.

---

Taisho Secrets:

Keiski (Keijo's crow): "Squawk! You weren't expecting me, weren't you? Well, enough of that, it's time for a Taisho Secret! The other twin demon actually had its own Blood Demon Art! It was a telepathy link with its sibling. No wonder they were so in sync!"