2. benny's burgers

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘛𝘸𝘰: 𝘉𝘦𝘯𝘯𝘺'𝘴 𝘉𝘶𝘳𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘴

The chill in the morning air brushed against her warm neck as she exited her mother's car, wishing her mother to have a good day before she was on her own way. Her tongue swiped over her freshly-moisturised lips as her eyes scanned the front of the school yard, the courts filled with walking teenagers who laughed and joked around with their friends. Valerie held her books tighter to her chest once she had found that her best friend, and only real friend, was yet to be in her sights. Her new pair of pearly white adidas sneakers, that were so expensive that her mother promised that they were the only pair she would ever get, tapped quietly against the concrete ground as she dodged and snuck past several kids her age.

She fixed her baby pink sweater, that had been tucked into her high-waisted jeans, with one hand to ensure that she would receive no funny stares from any of the girls she was passing. Her hand rose to the white collar, that was losing its brightness, and swiftly fixed it to be straight as she began to pass the basketball team. Sure, Steve was on the basketball team, and he was someone she did not want to be invisible to – but the rest of the guys? She wanted to avoid them all like her life depended on it. Connie loved them, and so did the rest of the teenagers, but they were all mostly bullies. Attractive bullies. Except Steve. He was never a bully.

She found her eyes set on the school building, specifically on the beige doors that would eventually lead her to peace and quiet. Her pace grew faster with anticipation to get away from the crowd and to find her friend, though she found her journey cut short when a pair of calloused hands caught her wrist. Physical contact was not something Valerie was used to, having avoided it since she was a little girl. Her mother would often hug her so tight she felt like her lungs would give out on her, though that was the closest thing to human affection she would receive and give. The warm feeling of skin to skin, and the mere thought of a hug, sent shivers down her spine. She was thankful that once her body had swiftly turned around to face the person who grabbed her, their hand on her wrist instantly dropped.

"Hey there, sweetheart." Standing in front of her, with school students walking by the both of them with odd stares, stood Eddie 'the freak' Munson. His lips curved into a cheeky smile that was oddly calming to her nerves with the growing stares, and for the first time, she noticed the small freckles that danced along his nose and cheeks. The glare of the sun that shone against his face had made the faint marks more noticeable; but she was convinced that his dark hair hid most of his face the last time she spoke to him.

"Eddie." It was as if her brain had no control with the words that spilled from her mouth, and all she could bring herself to do was gulp. "Morning, Eddie."

"I just wanted to double-check, you know, if we're uh..." The way her hazel eyes burned into his, like his had done last afternoon, made his stomach turn – in a good way. Of course, Valerie was too oblivious and caught up in her own mind to catch onto his sudden nervousness, which certainly was unlike him. "If we're still on for tonight. Super fun and exhilarating study time."