3. scaredy-cat

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘛𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦: 𝘚𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘥𝘺-𝘊𝘢𝘵

Out of the corner of her eye, she found a kind-faced waitress approaching their booth. She must have only been not much older than Eddie at least, maybe in her early twenties, possibly younger. Maybe she was as stuck in the town as Eddie seemed to think everyone was. Nonetheless, her pink lips were curved into a kind smile despite being in the middle of a rush of customers, and it was no fake smile – Valerie knew them all too well. Her blue eyes were full of light, the kind of light that Valerie had been stripped from a few years ago.

She was dressed in a grey button-up dress with a white apron tied around her waist and her blonde curly hair had appeared as though it was tied into a quick messy bun in attempt to get the hair out of her face. Her chest heaved as if she were still catching her breath from running around the diner, and her tanned skin glistened ever so slightly with a thin layer of sweat. Valerie was surprised that the woman's make-up had not been sweated off, because she knew that hers would be gone within the first hour of a shift at a diner as busy as Benny's. Despite the stress she must been under, she smiled as brightly as one could, with a pen and paper pad in her hand, ready to take their order.

"Hey kids, sorry for the wait, we're a little busier than expected today." Her voice was as sweet as she looked. "Are you guys ready to order, or should I maybe start you off with a drink? We've got a fifteen-cent vanilla milkshake special on if you'd like."

"We'll take two, please." Her eyes widened as Eddie took on the role of ordering for the two of them, a nervous pit now beginning to form in her stomach. She was so sure that she was too full to eat, even though the only thing she had to eat today was piece of plain toast in the morning before school – she had been too nervous today about a number of things to have the appetite.

"Fantastic, are you ready to order food as well?" The kind waitress, with a name badge that read 'Abigail' in which Valerie had not noticed until this moment, scribbled down on her little notepad.

"Yep, we're just gonna order a few things off the menu, if that's okay." Eddie raised his eyebrows at Valerie before his fingers began to point to items on the menu.

She could not help but stop paying attention after the first three food items – which were fries, two cheeseburgers, and chicken nuggets, as she contemplated running out of this man and leaving him to tutor himself just to get to senior year. Of course, she was too much of an anxious person to leave abruptly in a diner, so she forced herself to stick it out. No one had offered to spend so much money on food for her, after all. The least she could do is stick around – and besides, she would never have it within her to leave Eddie on his own and never make it to senior year, or worse, graduate high school.

Valerie glanced up at him once Abigail had rushed away to put their order through to the kitchen, only to find that he was already looking at her. "How many things did you just order, Eddie?"