7. invitation

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘚𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯: 𝘐𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

Walking into school the following morning, Valerie's eyes felt droopy, and she craved nothing but a good night's sleep. Her shoes dragged against the concrete as she tiredly walked through the parking lot, struggling to find the patience to deal with the loud voices and laughs of the jocks of the school. She had barely any time before school to get ready, thanks to sleeping through her alarm, so now she looked just as bad as she felt. Her hair was a mess and all she could do to look somewhat decent was to tie it into a low bun, which partly made her look like a middle-aged English teacher. Not to mention, she was forced to put on the first clothes her eyes caught the sight of earlier that morning. She was lucky that she put on a sweater and jeans, rather than the lacy pyjama top that she originally grabbed when she first awoke.

It was all thanks to Eddie Munson, for the disruption in her daily school routine. The pair had stayed up until the early hours of the morning playing board games, quite literally until Wayne arrived home from work at about three. Valerie had even considered spending the night when she was changing back into her slightly damp clothes, though she knew her mother would kill her if she found out. Nonetheless, Eddie drove her home at around three-thirty am, after a very eventful night. He was still rather angry that he lost several games to her, as well as the grown frustration from trying to explain to her how to play D&D. She discovered that night that he had anger issues – but not the type that scared her, the type that amused her. His anger was never directed at her.

Their night together was fun, so she tried her best to not hold any resentment towards him this morning as she entered the warm school building. Besides, she had other things to worry about. The whole cheerleading team was probably furious at her, with whatever story that Connie created to make herself look better no doubt. Perhaps Valerie Henderson would become a freak, just like Eddie was made out to be. Her eyes remained focused on the floor until she reached her locker, out of fear that her eyes would snap up and she would find the whole cheerleading team glaring at her and whispering to one another.

Her hands were slightly shaky from the nerves as she placed her backpack down beside her, her fingers wrapping around the dial, her mind soaring through all the possibilities of her adventures today at school. She wondered if she would receive a disinvite from the Halloween party, which was more than likely, or if Connie would make her life living hell like a stereotypical cheerleader. Either way, she mentally prayed to God that Eddie would turn a corner any minute now and she would finally feel safe again. But first, she had to get this damn locker to open.

The locker had been her worst nightmare, so much so she had been avoiding it all year. She would carry everything in her backpack, which caused her back to ache terribly by the end of the day, but she had no other option. Sometimes Connie would let her use her locker, but that clearly was no longer an option. It did not matter how many times she turned the dial, whether it was a thousand times or once, she could never get it to open. Only on good days it would open for her, though she needed a miracle today if she wanted it open.