11. fireworks & monsters

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘌𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯: 𝘍𝘪𝘳𝘦𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘬𝘴 & 𝘔𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴

As if the large, wet, and bloody monster hurdling towards the car had not been enough to send her heart into a pounding panic, the mere, faint sound of singing began to fill her hands from a walkie-talkie Will Byers held in his hands. Her eyes grew wide as she turned her head, pain shooting all over her neck as she did so, before peering down at the device the young boy held in his hands. The car grew silent, as the same exact song she had heard Dustin humming along to one morning filled the stuffy air. Her heart pounded through her chest as her eyes scanned the car, and the memories of what had happened to her flashed through her mind, as a sudden sense overwhelmingness washed over her aching body.

"Is that..." She croaked out, her throat sore from the hands that had been wrapped tightly around her throat not too long ago. "Is that my fucking brother?"

"Why is he actually good at singing—" Robin's eyebrows were raised, though Valerie could not see them as her bangs hid them. Nevertheless, the teenaged girl sealed her lips when Steve shot her a glare, as if to tell her to shut her rambling mouth.

"Val—"

"What is going on?" With what remained of her strained voice, Valerie gradually began to speak louder the more her panic began to settle in. "What. Is. Going. On."

Her brain could hardly comprehend the monster that chased after them, let alone the sound of her brother's singing through the walkie-talkie Will held tightly. Her heart pounded hard and fast, which was the last thing her body needed after her injuries, which had only been another thing her brain could barely comprehend. Tonight was supposed to be a fun kind of night, one that she would be able to tell her kids about in the future. She was supposed to go on rides that would make her feel sick, eat a ridiculous amount of carnival food that she would regret, and go home with her brother after the fireworks. But now, she was dragged into some insanely unbelievable mess with her brother's friends – and even Scoops Ahoy employees, too.

Perhaps she should have realised that tonight was going to go horribly wrong the moment she interacted with Eddie.

"It's okay, Valerie, we can explain everything!" A somewhat enthusiastic Lucas Sinclair said with a nervous grin before he sheepishly peered over at Will, who did not share this fake enthusiasm. "It's kind of a long story..."

"There is a freaking monster behind me, Sinclair. Billy goddamn Hargrove basically kidnapped me, which his car literally smelt like death, I then get literally choked to death, and now..." Valerie anxiously peered over at the large monster that continued to chase them, her eyes straining themselves on it. "And now, I wake up in a car full of my brother's friends, with some big alien chasing us! This is a dream. There's no way this is real. I mean, I am literally being held by Steve Harrington, this is some sick dream. I need to wake up."