6. cheerleaders

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘚𝘪𝘹: 𝘊𝘩𝘦𝘦𝘳𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴

Since her birthday, things had been incredibly awkward between Eddie and Valerie. A week has passed and the two had barely spoken. Study sessions were dull and quiet, with barely any smiles or laughter to be shared between them. His lips remained sealed, no longer sharing stupid jokes, or rants about people within the school, or even begging her to do something fun that had nothing to do with school work. He was nothing like his normal self around her anymore, and no matter how much she tried to hint at figuring out what was wrong with him, nothing would be said.

The day before, during their after-school study session, Valerie was determined to bring it up. She was sick of the sleepless nights and pounding heart all as a result of not knowing what was going through his mysterious mind. Things had been so strange between them that there were no shared smiles walking past one another in the hallway, or no longing stares in the cafeteria. Connie thought it was a miracle; that Eddie Munson had finally gotten sick of her friend, but Valerie hated not talking to him. Her safe place had been taken away from her, and she wanted it back. She knew the study sessions were his safe place too. Or at least, she hoped it was. She would die of embarrassment if he did not feel the same way. 

Her body shivered slightly in her seat; though she was unsure if it was because of the weather, or her nerves in asking him what was on his mind. Being almost in the middle of Autumn, she hoped that it was just the chilly air that had caused for the uncontrollable shivers and the goosebumps that ran along her arms and legs. Eddie sat opposite to her, an old hoodie clinging to his body as the sounds of his pencil scratching against the paper echoed in her ears. His tongue rested against on his top lip, dark eyes focused on the paper in front of him. The only good outcome from the lack of communication lately was the fact that Eddie had actually focused on doing his school work.

"Hey, Eddie," Valerie begun, and Eddie's eyes flickered at her own once before focusing themselves back down on the paper. "I came to a realisation today."

"And what was it?" Eddie had asked as he finished writing the last few words he needed for his essay, proudly smiling down at it momentarily before his eyes returned to hers. Her heart skipped a beat, which was strange. "That maybe I shouldn't try to finish that Gatsby book?"

"No, you should finish it." Valerie had smiled nervously as she subconsciously picked the skin around her nails. "I was just thinking, ya know, you've been really quiet since our day at the field. I don't know, maybe it's just me."

Eddie's face had dulled within an instant as his mind drew back to that night; there was no hints of brightness in his eyes, or even the slight upturn in the corners of his lips for the beginning of a smile. Nothing. His lips were formed into a straight line, and his eyes softened, moving their focus to the table where he had carved his name so long ago. Valerie wondered if he had been thinking about the bad thing she had done to him, whatever that 'bad thing' was. She hoped that whatever she did, she could earn his forgiveness, and they would be back to normal again.