4. violet

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘳: 𝘝𝘪𝘰𝘭𝘦𝘵

The soft rain pattered gently against the roof off Eddie's van as he drove along the road, with their voices filling the air, stuck in a conversation neither wanted to end. His ring-covered fingers tapped against the steering wheel along to the music that played a little too loudly over their voices, though Valerie did not mind so much. The eeriness of the dark woods and the fear that one sept underneath her skin had mysteriously disappeared as if it were never there now that she was in an enclosed space with him. There was something about him that made her feel safe when everyone around her told her it would be the opposite – and she had never been happier that they were wrong about him.

From the moment they were in the car, all the way to now, parked in front of her house, the two of them could not keep their mouths shut and their voices off. While most of the conversations consisted of Eddie ranting about Corroded Coffin and his favourite music, which were two things that Valerie was not particularly familiar with, she still found herself more engaged in conversation with him than anyone else she knew. Of course, he massively judged her when she had mentioned that she had never listened to metal music until that afternoon, and after that, she told herself that she would never tell him that her favourite song was by The Beatles. She would also make sure to note that he would never find out about her poster of them in her bedroom ever.

But nonetheless, despite wanting to listen to his voice forever, their night together had to come to an end. A somewhat comfortable silence fell over the pair as their laughs faded, with only the sounds of the pattering rain and his music filling the air. Her eyes drifted to her house, where one of the beige curtains had been pulled back with a little curly-haired boy peaking through the small gap. Her heart dropped, fearful that her younger brother would immediately tell their mother that good girl Valerie was alone in a vehicle with a boy. Frantically, she unbuckled her seat belt and gathered her things, pulling them tight to her chest before she turned back to Eddie.

"Well, I should go before we find something else to talk about." Valerie let out a chuckle along with her attempt at a joke, trying to free one of her hands to open the car door, though failing miserably. "Thank you for dropping me home, and for buying me an early dinner, as well..."

Eddie chuckled as he watched her fumble with the door handle desperately, opening his mouth to say something, before he shook his head. Her eyebrows furrowed at him, her eyes watching him intently as he suddenly opened his door and jumped out, which only increased her heart rate knowing her nosy little brother was watching their every move. She tried to open the car door by herself, in a very poor attempt to prevent Eddie from being the gentleman he is and opening the door for her, though every time she tried her papers, and her books would begin to slip from her grip.

She was left to chew the skin of her bottom lip nervously as she waited for Eddie to open the door for her, mentally preparing for all sorts of questions her brother would ask her aloud in front of their mother. No explanations could come to mind, so all she could do was hope that her improvisation skills were up to a decent standard. Eddie had not noticed Dustin's creepy stare from the window, and in fact, he seemed quite happy to be opening the door for her despite the rain that poured down on him.