8. halloween

𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘌𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵: 𝘏𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘦𝘯

"Waterloo, promise to love you forever more..." Valerie murmured the song lyrics of her mother's favourite song as her eyes focused on applying her red lipstick perfectly to her plump lips. Her hipbones pressed against the edges of the countertops in the bathroom, her face inches away from pressing against the cold mirror, and her eyes lingering on her lips through her reflection in the large mirror. She was thankful that Dustin had already left the house with his friends to go trick or treating, so that he had not been there to interrupt her music with his own, or to take unwanted pictures of her in her focused state.

Her eyes glanced down at the watch she had left on her wrist to keep track of time, and her heart almost stopped beating when she found that the time was five minutes until eight o'clock, knowing that Eddie was going to be here any minute now. You see, she had a plan. Her mother had a thing for taking a thousand pictures on her new camera of Valerie and Dustin any chance she got, which often meant any Christmas, or Halloween, or Thanksgiving, there had to be a new photo taken of the pair. However, if Valerie were to allow her mother to take some pictures of her, that meant Eddie would be left to wait in his car, and they would both be extra late to the party. Not only that, but her mother would catch on and force Eddie to get in the pictures.

To prevent this potentially embarrassing situation, Valerie needed to be waiting beside her bedroom window and wait until Eddie's van lights come into view. Then, she would jump off her bed, and rush out of the door before her mother could even stand up from the couch. But in order for this mission to be successful, she needed to be ready approximately... ten minutes ago.

She threw her lipstick bottle against the counter as she quickly finished her lips, and she lifted her hands to delicate fix the red bow she had tied into her half-up styled hair. Her fingers gently ran through the wavy curls she had styled into her hair and fixed the loose strands of hair that tickled her cheeks and nose. Her fingers switched off the bathroom light as she rushed into her dimly lit bedroom, frantically grabbing at her ruby red shoes before practically jumping on the bed in a race to force her feet into the old shoes she had owned for too long.

Just as she finally slipped the pair of shoes onto her feet, out of the corner of her eye, she caught the glimpse of Eddie's van's lights, and the quiet rumble of his van pulling into her driveway. Her eyes widened as she jumped off her bed and rushing out of her bedroom, slamming the door shut as she ran down the hallway with clicks of her shoes bouncing off the walls as if to warn her mother. She quickly turned the corner as she entered the living room, flashing a quick toothy grin at her mother as her hand wrapped around the door knob of the front door.

"Don't wait up for me, mom!" Valerie exclaimed as she pushed the front door open. "I'll see you tomorrow morning, love you!"

"Wait, Val—" Before her mother could finish her sentence, Valerie had already exited the house and shut the door behind her. Her perfect red shoes continuously pressed against the dirt and leaves as she rushed to Eddie's van, wasting no time in forcing her body into the passenger seat.