One

I'm about to go to bed when I hear someone walk down the stairs. It doesn't sound like my mom so I decide to go check it out.

"Henry?" I say, trying not to be too loud.

He looks like he's ready to go out somewhere but he can't be, it's two o'clock at night.

"I was going downstairs for water." He lies.

"What with your school bag?" I say.

"Yeah," Henry says, rubbing his hand on the back of his neck.

"I'm not too sure I believe you." I say.

"Please don't tell mom, Bella," He begs me.

"I won't if you tell me what you're doing." I tell him.

Henry isn't always the best at coming up with ideas that won't get him killed so he could be doing anything.

"I found my real mom." He says.

I look at him for a moment, this shouldn't be a shock that Henry would want to find his biological mother. Even though she prefers Henry he doesn't like the attention and her overbearing nature towards him.

Lately he's become obsessive over fairytale stories, I don't see what's so wrong about it he's only ten. It's normal but my mother absolutely hates it. She refuses to let him believe in them.

She wouldn't let me watch movies and read books about it either as a child. I don't know what happened to her in her childhood to make her hate fun so much but it must have been something horrible.

"That still doesn't explain why you look like your ready to leave the house," I say to the ten year old.

"That's because I am," He tells me. "I'm going to Boston to talk to her."

"No you're not," I tell him, trying to stay quiet and not wake up our mom. "You're ten you're not going to Boston by yourself, does your biological mom know you're going without an adult at this time?"

"No," He says shyly. "She doesn't know I'm going at all."

"Henry!" I say far too loud, luckily our mom doesn't get up. "How did you even get her address?"

"I found it through Miss Blanchards computer," Henry says quietly. "And I used her card."

"And you're really expecting me not to tell mom all of this?" I say, almost sounding angry although I'm not trying too. "This is insane, you can't just steal from your teachers and sneak out in the middle of night."

I can't believe he's doing this, his ideas can get a bit out of hand but never like this.

"You steal from mom and sneak out," Henry counters. "So it's not much different."

"Yes it is," I say. "Stealing from our mother is very different from a person outside our family and when I sneak out it's to Nolan's house or a party where I'm close by not fucking a completely different state."

"Please Bella," Henry says, putting on puppy dog eyes. "I really want to
meet her."

"Trying to act all innocent won't work on me." I tell him.

"It always works on you." Henry says.

I lightly hit him on the head for that one but he's not lying. I get why Henry is my mom's favourite. The kid can get anyone to love him.

"You can't go without an adult," I tell him, that part I'm not debating with him.

"You could take me." Henry says.

"I'm not an adult." I tell him.

"You're sixteen," He says. "That's good enough."

"Even if I did take you, how are we getting there?" I ask him.

"Nolan has a car," Henry says. "Ask him if you can borrow it."

"I don't know how to drive a car, Henry,"
I tell him. "He's probably sleeping and normally people don't just let you borrow their car to drive from Maine to Boston."

"He would do anything for you," Henry tells me. "Ask him, please."

"Go back to your room and give me five minutes to think about it." I tell him.

"Promise?" Henry asks.

"Promise," I say, holding out my pinky finger.