Chapter 39: Barcelona

"Spend a few days in the city and you will be in love with it" Carlos was right.

I smile as I finally step out of the plane, setting foot back down in Barcelona.

I couldn't hide my excitement any longer, I was finally back here.

And it would be for a longer period.

My dad was immediately on board with the whole idea, my mother not so much. It took me a while, a lot of paperwork but I managed.

I am here to enroll in the faculty of fine arts and I couldn't be happier.

Those few days I was here with Maxen made it crystal clear.

He didn't want to come back, and wasn't that impressed by the city. But I sure as hell was.

For me there wasn't another city who lived and breathed art, history and architecture more than Barcelona.

I push my two suitcases into the shuttle bus and make my way to the city.

As my feet step on the tiles of the plaça de Catalunya a wide happy smile fills my face.

I am back here.

"Are you there yet?" I look at a text from Remi.

"Yes"

"Is it as great as you remembered?" I smile at my phone.

"Even better." I answer.

"Even without?" he asks.

Even without Maxen, that's what he means, we broke up over the summer. The fact that he immediately assumed the worst about me, kept running through my head. With all the effort I did, it felt like I was the only one who wanted us together. The only one who tried to make things right, while I didn't do things wrong in the first place. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. And then there was the argument about my choice of study or rather my location. He wanted me as close as possible, I wanted to get into a good art college.

"It wasn't meant to be." I text back.

But it's what got me here.

After we broke up for good, I created a series of paintings based on my raw emotions.

I added pictures, sketches, impressions to a pleading letter to the university of fine arts here.

They liked it, it was exceptional, but they gave me a chance.

I make my way to what will be my home for the next few years and smile as I already love the neighborhood.

After a quick shower and change of clothes, I decide to grab my drawing stuff and go outside.

I am sitting in my favorite burgundy summer dress in parc de la ciutadella, quickly sketching the people that are passing by.

Life is good.

As it gets later I decide to buy myself dinner, the first night here that needs to be celebrated.

I walk over to the back of the park to the little gem Carlos showed me. He was right, he was so right. I totally loved the food there.

Menssana, the place is called, I smile as I take a seat on the terraces.

The waiter appears and I order a portion of Chilaquiles, a Mexican inspired dish, the way they make it is divine.

As the food is placed on the table I can't help myself but think about how happy I am. I look as the sun casts a beautiful ray of sunshine out over the terrace, right onto my table.

Before I can think too much about it I snap a picture and post it on Instagram. A little showing off, never hurt anyone.

My phone lights up with notification after notification as people like my story. The drawings changed my life, and people became really supportive.