Chapter 24

Louis insisted on me bathing, which wasn't such a bad idea. It felt good after a long battle.

The castle wasn't in pieces, but a few walls were cracked and breaking. There were immediate repairs going on inside and outside. There were almost no servants in the household, since most of them ran when we said an attack was imminent.

After I washed, I went back to the room I was given, but the door was crumbled and there was no way inside. I sighed.

"Figures." I started to laugh a little, which I felt like I hadn't done in a long time. I kept laughing to make myself feel good again.

"What are you laughing at?" I heard a voice behind me. I turned around and saw Liam limping toward me. "What's so funny that you insist on laughing so?"

I shrugged. "I'm just happy it's all over. Eva's gone."

"There's still some stuff to clean up, though."

"I know. I've seen the castle."

"You should see the village. Not exactly spick and span, love."

"I saw some of it, but Louis rushed me out of there so quickly."

"Well, he's down there now. Do you want to go?"

I nodded. "I need to see the mess I made." Liam smiled a little, but he stopped after he realized what I meant.

He escorted me back to the village. On the way, I saw patches of grass ripped a part. There were houses burned to the ground, barely standing, or made into piles of rubble. Knights were wrapping up bodies of both fairy people and humans. I tried not to look, but I couldn't help it. I had caused so much pain. I watched families and young children cry over their parents and friends. I didn't mean to do this, but I couldn't explain that to so many.

"Louis!" I ran over to him and wrapped him up in a big hug. I know I had just seen him earlier, but I hadn't realized how lucky I was that he hadn't died in the battle. Louis held on to me tightly. Maybe he felt the same way.

"How are you?" He asked pushing me back a little. He looked me up and down.

"I'm fine. I'm fine. A few bruises from Eva but I'm alright." I told him. "Are you?"

He nodded, a few tears forming in his eyes. "I lost Beanstalk." He looked down and then embraced me again. "I almost lost Mort, too. I'm losing my family." He started to cry into my shoulder. I rubbed his back and hugged him as tightly as I could.

"Did you lose your brother or your mother?" I asked him.

He let go of me. He shook his head and wiped his eyes. "They're alright. My mother nearly got crushed by a wall, though. She's in the castle now. Harry is down the road a little ways. He's a bit banged up, but he'll live."

I nodded. "Have you seen my family?"

"I saw them by your bakery. I'm sorry, Faraley. There's almost nothing left of it."

"Are my parents alive?" I asked, suddenly worried.

"Yes. Your sister is, too. Although she was crying a lot. Something about a man."

"Her fiancé." I told him. "He must've died. Oh dear."

"Faraley, I have to tell you who else died."

"Who?"

"Zayn. He didn't make it. I'm sorry."

I nodded and took in a deep breath. I started walking away, slowly letting go of Louis' hand. I needed to go talk to my parents.