Chapter 14

I clung to Niall as we once again flew over the forest. It was a moment of peace before we landed just outside the kingdom wall. Niall patted Ginji's cheek.

"Be good." He said to his dragon. "They'd suspect something if we took you in there, so don't give me that look."

Ginji laid down, begging with his tongue.

"No. Stay." Niall held up his hand. Ginji frowned. Niall snapped his fingers and a bunch of leaves fell on top of his dragon. It was a disguise. Not everyone knew magic existed yet. I didn't think leaves were going to do much, but Niall seemed to think otherwise.

"Here." I handed him a black robe "It was your dad's."

Niall put it on and then looked himself up and down. He sighed and lifted the hood.

"Where's your house?" He asked. I put my brown robe on and we climbed the rock wall, surrounding the kingdom. I looked around. We couldn't be too conspicuous. The knights would think something was up.

"My house is that way." I whispered. I took Niall's hand. We went down a staircase and got on the cobble path. We slowed our pace down to steady walk. I prayed we weren't going to get caught.

"There's the bakery." I said. I looked inside and saw a figure who looked exactly like me, making bread.

"Why are you there?" Niall pointed.

"I have no idea." I took my head off and went inside the house.

The girl who looked like me stopped and looked at the door. When she saw me, she dropped her bread dough. She grabbed a broom from the corner.

"Don't hurt me, please!" She begged.

"Why do you look like me?" I asked. "Why are you in my bakery!?"

Niall put his hand on my shoulder, trying to pull me away from the girl.

"She did it." The girl said. "Princess Eva. She said she could heal me."

"Heal you?" I asked.

"Yes. Please, if she knows I told-"

"Why are you here?!" I asked louder.

"Princess Eva needs eyes in the town. She needs to know when she can make her attack." The girl looked around. "She said she could make me clean again. I was deathly ill. You have to believe me! I only took this job for that reason!"

"What about my parents?" I asked. "And Laura? What about them?"

"I'm so sorry. I told the prince about them. I told the prince about everyone." The girl burst into tears and huddled into a corner. She put he shaky hand on her face and moaned.

"Niall, we have to go." I said. I grabbed his arm and rushed out of the bakery.

"Faraley," he pulled me back. "We don't have a plan. You're trying to do things without thinking again."

"All I know is that my family's in prison with other families and you want to sit around and do nothing." I spat at him. "I know where the dungeon is. That's where he's keeping them."

"Which way?" Niall sighed. I walked in the opposite direction we had come. The dungeon was around the other side of the houses. The entrance to take in prisoners was inside the castle grounds, but Louis and his gang had blown a hole right into the ground. That's how we were going to get in.

"Louis' got nerve." Niall nodded when he saw how deep the hole was. "Don't think I could do this if I was human."

I took my cloak off. "Get me down there." I said.