Chapter 12

Honestly, magic is not all it's cracked up to be. Elves don't have any magic powers, so we're on the lowest level where Fairy People are involved.

Niall on the other hand had the potential of being the best wizard, since he was half leprechaun. I mean, he was lacking many of the powers other wizards had, but that made his other powers even better, since those were the ones he had practiced.

I had never been flying before. Usually that was the twelfth birthday ceremony in the Fairy Kingdom. You got to pick an animal or a flying object and you got to touch clouds, symbolically marking your place in the sky.

But, since my mom was human, I didn't get that lucky. There was no Sky Ceremony for this girl.

"Almost there!" Niall said. "How you holding up?"

"I'm ok!" I said. Actually, I was terrified. I was flying on a cloud. It was a very small cloud, too. Niall had basically only made it big enough for himself.

Ten minutes passed before Niall and I finally landed. It was a dark part of the forest. I had never made it this far. It mostly looked scarred.

I recognized many of the marks on the trees as dragon claws. I wouldn't recognize it if we hadn't been attacked earlier.

"Niall..." I said. "What happened here?"

"My dad happened." He said. He traced the marks on the trees with his hands. He went to one tree and pointed to something.

"What is it?" I asked, walking over.

"My mom and dad." He said, quietly.

I looked at the tree. Initials were carved into the tree. A heart was around the letters.

"It's amazing it survived." He said. He shook himself out of a daydream. "Come on, Faraley. It's not long now."

I followed Niall, who now seemed haunted.

"Niall?" I said.

"Yes?" He replied.

"Are you scared?"

"Scared of what?"

I shrugged. "You know, everything that's going on. I mean...We've almost died about ten times."

"Well, I almost killed you once." He grinned.

"Niall, I'm serious!" I suppressed my laugh. I stopped him from walking anymore. "What if we don't survive?"

"We will. We have my dad."

"I thought you said he was evil?"

Niall shrugged. "In a way." He started walking again.

We kept walking. I got chills as we walked. The forest was dark and I heard noises. I felt threatened. I stuck close to Niall.

"Here we are." Niall said. We stopped in front of a tiny log cabin. There was smoke coming out of the roof.

Niall knocked on the door. A man rushed to it, swinging the door open. The man stared us down, through his tiny spectacles.

"Hey, Dad." Niall said.

"My boy!" Niall's dad wrapped his arms around Niall. I watched Niall's face turn red. I tried not laugh.

"What is it?" His dad said. "Why have you returned?"

"Princess Eva has gone mad." Niall said.

"Ah. Knew it was only a matter of time. Who's this?" His dad grabbed my arm and spun me around, like he was examining me.