Twenty-Two

You glanced out of the window of the subway. The reflection of your own face greeted you.

Adler was sitting next to you, one leg casually folded over the other while he blew some smoke into the air. He looked criminally good in his civilian clothes, some brownish turtleneck, dark pants and a black leather jacket.

His hands were stuck in some fingerless, brown leather gloves.

The mission was to get into East Berlin, find Anton Volkov and drain every information possible from him.

You didn't know the guy personality, so at least he wouldn't be able to identify you as one of his people, but his name held some weight.

"You ready?", Adler asked with a gentle bump to your shoulder.

You glanced at him.

"Is my opinion necessary?", you asked with a smirk and pushed his low sitting glasses up with two fingers.

"I want to remind you, we're equals now. My decisions are your decisions and my mistakes are your mistakes."

You shook your head.

"We don't make mistakes, Adler."

"We never did.", he agreed.

"Then don't let us start now. I agree with the plan.", your hand found his to give it a gentle squeeze. "And I trust you."

His fingers locked with yours. It was just a small gesture, but a huge one for Russell Adler.

"Good to know you always got my back."

A thin smile appeared on your lips.

"Always."

In that moment you realised that it was just like it used to be.

Nothing had changed.

You two still had this deep connection, like a silent way of communicating. And yet there was another factor that deeply flawed this work relationship.

It wasn't just friendship.

You two were like the same person, shaped by one another to fit into each other perfectly. He was part of you and you were part of him.

This should have never happened. Especially not because his presence still had power over you. Power that shouldn't exist.

You had fallen for him, for the way you communicated and acted with one another. Not too many words were said, not too little.

He just got it. And that was dangerous.

Originally, you had asked to be removed as his partner to avoid getting into something you wouldn't be able to get out of. But after all those years away from him, after leaving the war behind, he still managed to make you falter in your believes.

He was too close. And you weren't able to change that.
All of a sudden, you made a decision.

When you would return Bell to his rightful place, you'd go back with him. You wouldn't return to the States. You couldn't.

Being close to Adler had already done some damage on you. But continuing to be close could turn out fatal.
All of a sudden, Park's voice tore your thoughts apart.

"Adler, the back car is clear.", she informed over the communicator. "We're good to go."

Adler's eyes jumped to you.

You gave him a gentle nod, almost not recognisable, got up from your seat and squeezed past him. But as you passed, his hand found yours and you froze.

"Stay by my side.", he whispered and glanced up at you.

Bright blue eyes appeared at the brim of his shades and pierced yours.

A sharp breath made you falter.

Your fingers locked with his.

"Careful, Russell.", you warned him. "Don't ask me for things you'll regret later."

He put his cigarette out of the floor and got up from his seat.

He was a tall man, even taller than Woods, and needed quite some space.

As he got up, you backed away to make some space.

He leaned forward, his warm breath stroking your skin and the scent of his cologne filling your nose.

"The only thing that I've ever regretted regarding you was that I let you say no to my offer in Nam.", his left hand grabbed one of the poles for support while the other found your face. "I won't let you do that again with this offer."

Swallowing hard, you raised an eyebrow and grabbed his hand to remove it.

Somehow, the touch of his fingers burned.

"It wasn't supposed to be back then.", you whispered.

"Then the time has finally come."

"No. It's worse than it was back then. And it will never get better."

Not being able to look at him for any moment longer, you turned and rushed away. It felt like an escape, an attempt to run away from him now that he was getting too close again.

It seemed like he himself didn't even know what he was about to get himself into. He was trying so hard, at least for his standards.

Now, you had to be even more careful. You were able to feel he was getting even closer than before. He wasn't just under your skin anymore. He was starting to flow through your veins, right into your heart.

What a cringey thought. But sadly a painful truth.

With bated breath you walked down to the door of the car and grabbed the handle of the door.

Your eyes jumped back.

Adler was following you. Bell was right behind him.

He nodded.

You opened the door and entered the last car.

Nobody was present. It was so empty and dirty that it seemed quite spooky.

Adler pushed past you.

All of a sudden, Lazar appeared behind you.

His appearance was so sudden that a cold shiver crawled down your spine.

Lazar and Bell pulled the door to the car shut and Adler turned around to look at you three.

"As soon as the train slows down, you and I'll jump off.", he said to Bell and then looked at you. "Park, Lazar, wait till the next station. Angel and I will track down Kraus. Bell will stand by."

Surprised, your eyebrows rose.

"You want to keep Bell on standby?", you asked into his ear so nobody was able to hear.

His head turned, which made his nose brush against yours.

"You want to object?", he asked. "I'll listen to you, angel. Always."

With yours lips pressed into a thin line, you shook your head.

"I trust your judgement...", you whispered.

"Always?"

For a second, you hesitated.

"Always."