Twenty-Eight

Without a sound, you rushed into the office in which Kraus had disappeared minutes ago. It was strange, you had clearly seen him walk in, but not come out. But the room was entirely empty.

Bell closed the door.

"Get a good look around.", you said.

You pulled out a black light to check if fingerprints were anywhere to be seen as all of a sudden, Parks voice filled your ears.

"I've lost sight of Kraus every time he enters that room.", she informed.

You activated your speaker. One good thing about the Americans was that they trusted their own people a but too much. Park and the others were only able to hear what you and Bell said once you captivated the mice, otherwise you were safe to talk freely.

"Good thing you informed us about the child.", you joked, but made clear how little you were thrilled.

"It slipped our attention."

"Since when does anything slip MI6's attention, Park? That little fucker could have put us in serious trouble."

"I assure you it was a one time thing."

"Sure hope so, Park. Sure hope so..."

Bell tapped your shoulder.

You turned your gaze into the direction he was pointing in.

The blue radius of his black light pointed at a wardrobe. Then, he pointed it at a picture.

One corner was slightly titled. It wasn't all too obvious, but considering that everything else inside the office was well organised, this seemed odd.

"We're out, Park.", you informed her. "Stay put."

"Copy that.", she answered.

You walked over to the picture to take a closer look. It was hanging pretty stiff. As you poked the edge to see if it would swing, nothing moved.

"Bell, check the wall.", you ordered and gently pushed the edge of the frame further.

A clicking sound filled the silence.

Bell pushed the wall.

Again, something clicked. Not a second later, the wall started to move, pulled back and snapped open.

A dark room was revealed behind the fake one.

Your eyebrows rose.

"Interesting...", you pulled out your gun. "I'll go first. Cover me."

Nodding, Bell also drew his pistol.

The floor below your feet creaked as you entered the room. It was hard to tell what it was in that darkness, but the outlines seemed to be an awful lot like ropes from which pieces of paper were hanging.

The smell of chemicals was in the air.

"There's a lightbulb.", he pointed at the ceiling.

You pulled the cord.

Red light flooded the room.

Pictures appeared.

"Ah, so he is an intel as well.", you noted as your eyes wandered over the pictures, then to a table nearby. "Found the briefcase. Take a look at what's inside."

He followed your orders, popped the lid open and started going through the documents.

"Money, pictures, a fee stacks of paper.", he said and searched for a good place to plant the tracker. "I'll hide it at the side."