Thirty-Three

Bell rushed on to catch Volkov, or at least pretend he wanted to and vanished into the same direction.

Again, you were left behind. This time, however, not for long.

Lazar appeared out of nowhere.

He didnt question why you were standing in the middle of the warehouse, all by yourself, frozen like a stature made of bronze. Instead, he asked a silent question.

You pointed into the direction in which Bell had disappeared.

It would have been stupid to send him another way.

Nodding, the bearded giant pushed through and disappeared as well.

Shortly after, steps sounded again.

Park appeared, followed by Adler.

You let her pass, but grabbed him by the sleeve as he wanted to walk on too.

"Shades...", you let out a deep breath. "Russell."

As his name left your lips he immediately stopped and gave a signal for Park so she would move on. His gaze turned to you.

"You sound worried.", he noted and glanced over the brim of his glasses.

For a moment, you looked into those bright blue eyes of his. Then you reached out, pulled them off and looked at them closer.

He didn't refuse. He just waited and watched what was about to happen.

"You always keep a distance from people thanks to those.", you mumbled with a smirk and put them on yourself.

The world turned dark.

It felt different now, less nice and more focused.

His eyes moved.

"Angel?", he wanted to grab the glasses.

But you caught his hand mid air and gave it a good squeeze. You needed to make him feel like this was a warning.

"Tell me, Russell, where is my place with you?", you suddenly asked. "I need to know."

Your finger slid onto the trigger of your handgun, that you still held, but kept pressed to your side to not alarm him.

He frowned.

He had a nice face, always has had and would have for the rest of his life. The scars had never done any damage to how handsome he was. They had just changed the way of how to look at him, not as easy going anymore, but still charming and tough.

"You're asking weird questions.", he said, eyebrows knitted together. "What is this supposed to be?"

Your hand twitched.

"We've been working together for so long. Where am I standing?"

"You're waisting time."

"Russell.", you said his name and he obeyed like a dog. "I didn't spent all my life working with you just to be another person in front of the glasses."

"You're my right hand."

"Being next to you isn't enough. Not after everything I've sacrificed. Am I behind the shades, Russell? Do our eyes ever meet?"

He swallowed.

His body looked so dark thanks to the colour of the shades. He seemed sick and weak.

"Angel.", his hand reached out and took back what was rightfully his. "You've never been in front of the glasses. And that's why I feared you for a long time."

You grabbed his hand before he could out them back on.

Your finger twitched on the trigger.

You could have shot him. It would have been the best thing to do.

You would be gone before the others noticed.

Your hand started to shake.

"I know I'm not a good person.", you whispered in a weak voice. "But I believe you owe me honesty."

Adler took a sharp breath in.

The blue of his eyes shivered.

"I'll tell you anything you want.", he said. "You deserve it."

That almost made you whimper.

"Would you ever stab me in the back?", you asked. "Would you ever pull the trigger on me?"

"No.", he answered so quickly, it surprised himself. "Never."

A breath of relief left your lips. You let go of his hand.

Confused, he put on the shades again.

You pushed them up with two fingers, grabbed his face and breathed a kiss to his lips.

"I have many regrets...", you whispered. "I'm starting to forget who I am. I fear what I might become. But I never had a single doubt about you..."

As you pulled away, the beating of your heart calmed down.

Maybe he was lying about it, about everything.

But in that moment this lie calmed your nerves.

"Let's go...", you whispered and wanted to go on.

But he held you back.

"Angel.", his hands found your face. "I promised you I'd never pull the trigger on you. Give me a promise in return."

"Anything you want..."

"Promise you'll never betray me."

Your face froze.

For a long, painfully long moment, you looked at him, past the dark glasses and into those eyes, hard yet so soft for you.

"I promise.", you shivered as the words left your lips.

It was a lie and you knew it. It tasted so bitter sweet, so painful.

But you had no other choice.

How did it come so far?

All of a sudden, a shot rang out.

"That's our sign to get going.", Adler said and grabbed you by the wrist to start walking again.

As Adler pulled you around a corner, Volkov came into sight.

Internally, you cursed, being fucking annoyed by the incompetence of people you've met this day.

His shoulder was bleeding heavily and a dark mark decorated his eye.

Bell and Lazar had him cornered, guns raised.

As Volkov noticed your presence, he moved and raised the hand he held the gun with. The barrel pointed at you and Adler.

That mistake was a lucky coincidence for you.

Quickly, you pushed in front of Adler and pulled the trigger.

It was a clean headshot.

Volkov was out quicker than a candle in a storm.

"Always thinking faster than me. You did the right thing, angel.", Adler lay a hand on your shoulder. "One of Perseus' men off the board."

But Park wasn't pleased at all.

"Is it?", she asked and glared at you. "I wanted him alive. MI6 could have gotten so much more out of him."

But Adler stuck with you.

"Can't win em' all.", he argued. "Now let's get the hell out of East Berlin."

Your hand found his and gave it a gentle squeeze.

Sometimes, he truly was a good man.