Chapter 61

The bakery is as busy as always when we step inside. Kage smiling brightly at everyone, although he saves a bigger one for me... until it disappears almost instantly.

“I do not wish to keep my brother waiting.” Leon growls. Alright mate, I haven’t even seen all the goodies yet.

When we walked in this place was bubbling with conversation, of course as soon as the dark mafia cloud behind me makes his presence felt, it’s like all the life is sucked from it. Kage very rarely looks anything other than perfectly happy, always joyful, but he takes one look over my shoulder at Leon and it's very clear what he thinks.

These two are never going to be friends.

“Hey sugartits, you got any croissants you didn’t burn the fuck out of?” Kage’s smile returns to his face when I lean right over the counter trying to get a look at the good stuff in the back.

“You know I’m blaming you for that.” He jokes, walking out to the back and coming back with delicious pastries. “Hope tell you about tomorrow night at my place?” I don’t like the way he says her name so friendlilylilylily, that’s my bestie! Try and steal her and I will rip your face off!

“Yeah, she told me. You’d better get an extra couch though, Craig will probably tear you in half for sitting next to her.” Kage chuckles, already pouring me a giant cup of coffee without me having to ask, because he’s well trained like that. Someone better wife this boy soon before I do.

Can you have multiple wives if one of them is a seriously sexy, tatted up wrestler you don’t have sex with and the other is a ridiculously hot lesbian with daddy issues and a fuckable brother? Asking for a friend.

“I think I can handle...” Kage trails off, not only his smile disappearing from his face but I swear his jaw is clenching. I’ve never seen him look like this before... it’s weirdly attractive.

It becomes clear why he’s so pissed when I feel a hand slip onto my waist, the overwhelming presence of a dickhead Italian pressing against my back.

This is payback for the scared of needles comment, isn’t it? I’m going to have to fuck him or something so he’ll calm the hell down again. Annoying possessive shit.

“Come, Belle. I believe we should be going.” Jesus fucking Christ. He really needs to lay off, I don’t know if it’s Mr alpha-dude outside getting under his skin or just all the crap that’s happened in the last twenty-four hours, but he needs to chill the fuck out.

He also needs to remember I’m not his. Not even close.

It was just a moment.

Kage isn’t easily intimidated, something that becomes clear when he doesn't remotely back down from Leon’s murderous glare. Although his eyes drop slightly, exactly to the point where the mafia boss’ hand holds my body.

He looks... worried.

I know he didn’t want me around these people, never mind involved with one, not that I am. I also can only imagine what him and Hope spoke about this morning, I’m sure they both had wonderful things to say about me almost being killed last night. He has a right to be concerned but I can handle myself.

“Actually, Belle. Chef wanted someone’s opinion on these new things he’s making, want to come to the back and check them out?” Leon’s fingers dig into my waist to the point it’s painful, Kage looking at me almost pleadingly, but I’m not stupid. As much as I’d usually tell Leon to go fuck himself, he's actually had a lot going on and he probably just needs me to cut him a break here. Also I’d prefer he didn't try to kill me before I can settle in at his brother’s place.