Chapter 103

“Do not overreact, farfalla.” I’m sorry, is there a way to underreact to finding out the guy you’ve been fucking around with once tried to KILL YOUR FUCKING BROTHER-IN-LAW!

I jump to my feet, marching straight over to him as he does up his pants.

“You put him in the hospital! He could’ve fucking died!” I may have been young, but even I remember how fucking scared Leah looked when she came to Granny’s to check on us and told us what happened. She was clutching her stomach so bad I thought she might lose the fucking baby!

“It was a flesh wound!” He argues, like that makes it more fucking acceptable! “My father’s confidant had accompanied me on the plane to America and attended the fight as my coach, he instructed me to take the man’s life following the fight, but I did not! I made sure that no vital organs were hit! He was not even in the hospital a day, I spared him!”

Is he serious... Is he trying to make himself the hero in this fucking story?

“You fucking...” I grab his chin, forcing him to face me. I should plunge a blade between his vital organs and see how he likes it! “Do you realise what you could’ve done! Steve is the best fucking man I know! It was Steve that would sit up doing my homework with me to catch me up with school after what happened with the Serpents. Steve who would fucking hold me when I couldn’t breathe through my panic attacks. Steve that would stand up for me when my sister would start losing her shit on me because she was so scared she was going to lose me again! He fucking loves me, I’d be dead without him!”

It was Steve that made sure I had no blades, no pills, nothing to hurt myself when I really wanted to. Steve that would drive me to Hope’s at three in the morning when I needed her. Steve that would put me on the back of his bike and help me breathe in fresh air again when I couldn’t open my lungs.

Steve that was sitting outside the shrink’s room every fucking session, so I’d never have to be alone, so I always knew someone was there. He’d cancel work, cancel fights, cancel fucking date nights to be there!

“You could’ve killed him!” Fuck, don’t cry. He’s fine. He’s not dead. Nothing’s going to happen to him. He’s fine...

“Farfalla...” I slam my hands into his chest but he captures them before they hit, pulling me in tight against him and holding them both over his heart. “I am sorry this pains you. He appears to be a good man, and I am grateful it was I that met him in that cage. Had it been any other member of my family, he would not still be here.”

“That doesn’t... it doesn’t...” Fuck, you’re getting way too emotional about this. Reign it in.

“I am sure your sister would consider me a monster for what happened that day, to plunge a blade into someone she cares for, but I assure you I had no choice. I did what I could to spare him, does that owe me no understanding?”

I mean I guess... I kind of did the sam-

No. That wasn’t the same, May. Not even close.

I can’t even look at him, pulling my hands free from his racing heart, I walk shoulder first into Luigi on my way to the main house.

Stop being a pansy ass emotional bitch. You’re probably hangry, eat something.

I walk straight across into the kitchen, ignoring everything else and not even acknowledging what I’m sure was a nice compliment from Elba on my outfit, before throwing myself in the seat next to Antonio and taking the toast straight off his plate.

“You seem distressed, young Belle.”

I’m not talking to you either, sister-fucker.

“Bite me.” Antonio seems to realise this isn’t the moment to fuck with me, returning to his food and not even fighting me when I take a sausage next to make a little sandwich of his food for myself.