Chapter 148

I leap forward to get it, but Kage knocks it straight out of my hand.

“Are you crazy? You can’t answer that, that phone shouldn’t even be on, they can trace it!” Luigi wouldn’t have given it to me if it could be tracked that easily, his boyfriend is the tech guy, he'll be able to hold him off for a few hours.

“I have to! It’s Antonio, Jordano’s brother, he has a plane, he can get me out of here tonight.”

“Like fuck!” Kage shakes his head. “You aren’t going anywhere with anybody from that family, he could give you straight back to him.” He grabs my face. “I just got you back, I’m not losing you again.”

Stop being so adorable, Ocean eyes, I’m trying to concentrate.

I get why he’s worried, if the roles were reversed I’d think the exact same thing, but I should have trusted Antonio when I first met him. If he says he can save me from this place, he can.

“He's not like him, him and my sister go way back. I’m telling you, I can trust him.” He still looks unsure but I can’t let the phone ring any longer, jumping up from his lap and answering it immediately. “Antonio?”

“Maybelline, it is so good to hear your voice sounding so well.” You too. “I am sorry I was not able to answer your calls earlier, a tale for another day, but tell me now if you are safe.” I look around Ivana’s little studio apartment, even though it’s completely run down and I’m sure I just saw a mouse in the corner, it feels like a paradise compared to the way I’ve been living for the last few weeks.

“Yeah, I’m safe... Do you know what's happened?” I can hear a lot of noise in the background, wherever he is it’s busy.

“I know enough. It is imperative that you leave Italia, bellissima. I apologise, but I believe you have found yourself in the core of a volcano that is on the verge of erupt. Although this will be bad for many, it may provide the cover we need to complete your escape. You do not know everything, May, you have been a small pawn in a much bigger game that is now in the endgame... Where are you?”

Whatever’s happening here, it’s so much bigger than me, and he actually sounds worried.

“Verona. I can’t stay here, no matter what’s going on, we both know he’ll have people out looking for me.” I’m too scared to even step close to the windows in case they’re out there.

“Fanculo... I had hoped you would be free of that place. We must get you from there... I am about to board my plane, I will be back in Italia very shortly.” He’s not even in Italy! Where the hell was he? “Maybelline, do you believe you could make it back to the village where you stayed upon your arrival here? They will not expect you to go back there, but there is a small airstrip nearby that I have many people under my payment. I shall refuel there, collect you, and then if you wish - return you to America.”

Yes, my sexy Italian genie, for my first wish I will be returning to America... The next two will be far dirtier and require the hot tattooed wrestler to be banned from wearing clothes. Any objections? No. Didn’t think so.

I look over at Kage, I fucking hate dragging him back into this, but I know he wouldn’t let me leave without him anyway.

“Antonio says he can fly me out in a few hours, but I need to get back to the village.” He looks at Ivana,  tapping her fingers on the arm of the chair trying to decide what's best.

“She needs to get out, the sooner the better. Can you truly trust him?” I nod. I know I can. “Then you can take my car, I’d offered to drive you myself but I should still get these papers put into place in case this all falls through.” Kage nods, I can tell he’s not happy about the idea of letting me go with Antonio, but I’m pretty sure I’m as safe with that man as I am with him.