Chapter 27

The next morning, Izuku and the others said goodbye to his mom, who had been put on bed rest and couldn't come with them to go volunteer.

"You all be good and thank Mr. Aizawa for me when you see him." Inko said.

The girls gave his mother a sly look, which his mom brushed off, unwilling to give into their teasing this time. Izuku nodded, promising to do so for her, and they headed off, using the crude signs that were nailed to the walls to send them in the right direction. Kacchan walked next to him, hands stuffed in his pockets as he pretended to listen to Chieko's excited chatter next to him.

"Can we go to the medic wing after everyone's done? I want to talk to Nurse Shin today if he'll teach me." Chieko asked.

"Sure." Kacchan said.

That was enough for the girl to smile, giddy with excitement. She could barely hold back the skip in her step. How much her attitude had changed since they left the hospital was a welcome relief for Izuku and he knew Kacchan felt the same the way he tolerated her antics.

They head to the outside gathering where most tables lined the field with different groups providing help for the civilians, while others were grouping together to head get ready for their tasks. His group walked around for a bit, getting a feel for the different jobs being offered, but Izuku had his focus on searching for the training classes that Aizawa had mentioned.

"Bakugou!"

Their group turned at the voice, not expecting anyone to call out to them since they had yet to talk to anyone outside of the teachers since their arrival. Izuku noticed the familiar circles of pink on the beaming face of Uraraka Ochako, who was waving at them from a distance. She continued to call out to them and Izuku glanced over to Kacchan, who let out a small smile at the sight of the other girl.

Izuku's fists clenched, so he covered them up by stuffing them in his pocket before anyone noticed.

"You finally made it!"

The girl ran over to them and she reached out to hug Chieko without hesitation. The other girl returned the hug, her face happy to see the familiar face.

"Uraraka! Aren't you a sight for sore eyes!" Chieko said.

"I was wondering if you all would ever reach the school." Uraraka said.

She continued down the line and hugged Kacchan without hesitation and the blonde rolled his eyes, but didn't push her away as he patted one of her shoulders in return. Izuku frowned, but he did his best to push the feelings aside and smiled when Uraraka looked at him, her welcoming face making him feel guilty about his less than pleased reaction to her appearance. As she went to hug him, Izuku kept his hands in his pocket, but thankfully she didn't notice as she pulled away.

Chieko took the lead in introducing her to the group, and they all greeted the girl in return.

"Everyone, this is Uraraka. We met her family back when we were still heading to the hospital. They had planned to come to the school, so we went our separate ways after a night." Chieko explained.

"It wasn't easy, but I remembered Bakugou's words that time and kept me motivated to push forward until the end." Uraraka said.

"Good. Hopefully, you've gotten better since the last time I saw you." Kacchan said.

The girl smirked as she showed off her arms, which had gained muscle during her stay in the school and Kacchan smirked in response.

"I'm part of the rescue crew now. Let me introduce you to some of my friends." Uraraka said.