Chapter 34

The UA training grounds buzzed with action. Izuku stepped in and familiar sounds of chatter, the whispers of team members floated in the cool air, reaching his ears. It felt like any other day at UA, but the underlying tension told a different story.

Off to a secluded corner, Aizawa and Mirio, two stalwarts of the once-celebrated institution, pored over blueprints. Izuku could see the deep creases on the papers, the intricate details hinting at a mission of great importance. Yet, as he drew closer, he noticed that both Aizawa and Mirio seemed uncharacteristically calm. It was as if they were intentionally radiating a sense of relaxed focus, perhaps to comfort their younger teammates amidst the brewing storm.

Swallowing the knot in his throat, Izuku tried to focus. His green eyes scanned the room, trying to get a feel for the atmosphere. It wasn't long before his gaze settled on Kacchan. He was deep in conversation with Ochako, their heads inclined toward each other. Each time he saw them together, a sharp pang gripped Izuku's heart. But today, he had a resolute air about him. He'd promised himself not to be swept away by those negative emotions.

But before Izuku could dive too deep into that whirlpool of thoughts, Aizawa's voice, firm and commanding, sliced through the hum of the room. "Alright, listen up." Every head turned, every eye locked onto Aizawa. He continued, nodding toward a select group, "Today, while the mission is crucial, it's also about unity. We're combining teams. Let's see how you can collaborate."

Mirio followed, his tone softer but no less serious. "We don't always have the time to build trust. Today, you'll have to find it quickly. These are the people you'll lean on in the battles ahead. Let's figure out the strengths, the weaknesses, and how to bring out the best in each other."

Izuku felt a mixture of apprehension and determination wash over him. He flexed his fingers, drawing in a deep breath laced with the scent of sweat and the metallic tang of the equipment around. The day ahead was bound to test them all, but he felt ready.

The atmosphere in the room eased as both sides mingled. It was obvious those who had been here a while knew at least someone from either side. People chatted, exchanged stories of past missions, showed off new quirk moves, and even shared a few embarrassing anecdotes. Izuku wondered if he and Kacchan were the only two making it awkward.

With his infectious energy, Denki tried to lighten the prevailing mood. He swung an arm around both Izuku and Kacchan, announcing, "Well, at least the trio are together at last!" His grin widened, even as Kacchan made no secret of his annoyance, shoving Denki's arm away.

Catching Izuku's eye, Shoto approached him, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Will you be okay working with him?"

Izuku hesitated for a brief moment, searching for Shoto's concerned gaze. Summoning a small smile, he replied, "Yeah, maybe this is the chance I needed to fix things?"

As everyone got ready for their individual spars, Shoto stepped in closer, ensuring their conversation remained hushed. "You should spar with Bakugou," he suggested, eyes flickering toward the explosive blond already cracking his knuckles impatiently. "We'll find other partners. This might be a good time to clear the air."

Touched by Shoto's gesture, Izuku nodded, murmuring, "Thanks, Shoto." He watched as Shoto moved towards Ochako, leaving him under Kacchan's intense scrutiny.

When he turned to face Kacchan, the latter's expression was unreadable. Every emotion was cloaked behind a practiced facade, leaving Izuku guessing. Trying to shake off the unease, Izuku scratched the back of his neck, attempting to lighten the tension between them. "Looks like we're paired up," he said, forcing casualness into his voice.