Chapter 38

As the first light of dawn gently filled the abandoned classroom with its warm, golden glow, Izuku awoke. The morning's coolness contrasted with the warmth of the person beside him. Kacchan, usually a storm of contained energy and furrows, was unexpectedly serene in sleep. His habitual scowl, softened into vulnerability, offered Izuku a rare glimpse of tranquility.

This newfound peace, stemming from their shared confessions the night before, wrapped Izuku in a comforting serenity he hadn't known since their journey began. With a mix of boldness and caution, he reached out, his fingers grazing Kacchan's spiked hair.

When he pulled back, but paused as his gaze met Kacchan's stare, his eyes free of their usual fire.

"Morning, Kacchan," Izuku whispered, hesitant of what their new dynamic would be in the light of day.

Kacchan's grunted reply, a simple acknowledgment, somehow made Izuku feel more anchored.

Wanting to touch on the previous night's emotional exchange, Izuku began cautiously, only to be interrupted by Kacchan's determined voice. "Don't start doubting now, Deku. We've crossed that bridge." The certainty in his tone mingled with their intertwined fingers solidified their silent promise to each other, sending a jolt of warmth through Izuku.

In a silent room, amidst the comfort of their shared silence, Izuku sought to bridge the gap with a kiss. Kacchan, true to form, halted him with a light but firm hand to his chin, his complaint laced with a playful sternness. "Really, Deku? Morning breath," he chided, his eyes twinkling with hidden amusement.

Their laughter, unburdened and genuine, filled the air as they set about tidying up their makeshift sleeping area. "What should we tell the others?" Izuku pondered aloud, voicing the question that lingered between them.

Kacchan, poised by the door with his inherent forward momentum, casually dismissed the concern. "We don't need to explain shit to anyone."

"But I don't want to hide anything... especially not about us," Izuku confessed, the gravity of their concealed truths pressing heavily upon him. He already carried the burden of Eri as a secret, and he didn't think you could handle another one.

Kacchan paused, the impatience that usually charged his movements giving way to a moment of contemplation. Turning to face Izuku, he reached out, their fingers locking together once more. "We're not hiding, Deku. I just don't see the point in some grand announcement. They'll figure it out," he explained, the telltale flush of his ears betraying his embarrassment.

Izuku, uplifted by Katsuki's acceptance, couldn't resist wrapping his arms around him from behind, guiding them forward in a shared, albeit awkward, shuffle down the hallway. Katsuki's huff of annoyance did little to dampen Izuku's spirits; if anything, it spurred him on.

"Deku, let go. You're gonna make us fall," Katsuki warned, even as he attempted to disentangle himself, resulting in a half-step stumble that neither corrected nor escalated their precarious balance. His protest rang hollow, the underlying acquiescence clear to Izuku.

Holding on tighter, Izuku nudged them forward with a gentle push against Katsuki's back, guiding their staggered steps. "You're not trying to get away from me, are you, Kacchan? You're finally letting your guard down," he said, his voice soft but playful, adding a skip to his step that threw them off balance yet again.

"In your dreams, nerd. I'm just making sure you don't face plant us both with your klutziness," Katsuki retorted with a gruff tone, attempting to adjust their trajectory with a corrective shuffle, his efforts to maintain their composure belied by the slight tilt in their path.