Chapter Six: The Monster

ɹǝʇsuoɯ ǝɥʇ
sƃɥʇ ɹǝƃuɐɹʇs

November 12, 1983

I didn't get much sleep last night. My head was too caught up in the fact there was another dimension that mimics ours. I can't even imagine what Nancy was going through after being there and seeing that creature. I was sitting on my bed when someone knocked. "Yeah?" My door opened and Dustin walked in. "We need to go to Mike's," he said. "Why?" I asked. "Well, when we tried following the compass to see where it would lead us we ended up at the junkyard. You know the one off the train tracks. And Lucas pointed out that Eleven had fresh blood on her sleeve from using her powers.

He said she was affecting the compass so we wouldn't find out where the gate is. Mike and him started to argue because Mike didn't believe him and Lucas was yelling at El. She then flung him across the yard and when he landed he was knocked out. It was only for a couple minutes though. When we turned around Eleven was gone. Now Lucas isn't talking to Mike and El is missing which is making Mike worry about her."

"I think I'm going to skip that whole drama thing. Mike and Lucas will make up and El will come back. If she doesn't we can go out and look for her but I don't think she got far. I'm going to meet up with Nancy and Jonathan today. I'm sorry, buddy," I said. He looked at me for a few seconds and then came to sit beside me on the bed. "You okay? You look kind of lost," he said. For only being twelve he was very smart and wise. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me. I'll take the radio if you need to get a hold of me okay." He nodded, stood up, then wrapped his arms around my shoulders to give me a hug. I hugged him back and then he left.

After getting dressed I got in my car and headed into town. I just needed to clear my head and the best way for me to do that was by taking a drive. As promised I had the radio, the same one all four boys had, in my passenger seat. I was driving by the theater when I had to take a double take. On the announcement board it said "ALL THE RIGHT MOVIES STARRING NANCY THE SKUT WHEELER"

Then I saw Nancy and Jonathan going into the alley beside the theater. So I parked my car, got out and followed them. And to no surprise to me there stood Steve, Tommy, Carol, and Nicole . I walked up beside Nancy, "Hey." She jumped and looked at me with wide eyes. "Sorry. I was driving by when I saw what they wrote and then I saw you and Jonathan." We looked at the four further down the alley. Tommy was spray painting something on the side of the building, Carol stood beside him and Steve was behind them, hands in the pockets of his jacket.

I looked at Nancy then back at where Steve was and started walking forward. Me and Nancy were never really friends but we talked every once in a while seeing as our brothers were friends. But that didn't mean I was going to let these assholes humiliate her like that. And I just knew this had to be Tommy and Carol's idea. Because Steve was only ever an asshole when he was around them. He was a completely different person when he was alone.

Nancy walked after me and when we walked up to them Carol turned to us. "Aw, hey there, princess," she said to Nancy. "Uh-oh! She looked upset," Tommy said. Nancy walked up to Steve. Then she slapped him. I stood back a little and let her handle it. "What is wrong with you?" She asked Steve. "What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you? I was worried about you. I can't believe I was actually worried about you," Steve said and scoffed. "What're you talking about?" She asked. "I wouldn't lie if I were you. You don't want to be known as the lying slut, do you?" Carol said.

"Hey, Carol. How about you shut the fuck up," I told her. She looked at me up and down. "Oh. I see you were there too," she laughed. My hands curled into fist and I started her down. "Speak of the devil," Tommy said. I looked back to see Jonathan had walked up to us. "You came by last night," Nancy said to Steve. "Ding! Ding! Ding!" Carol said. "Does she get a prize?" I have never wanted to hit someone so bad before than I do right now. "Look, I don't know what you think you saw, but it wasn't like that," Nancy said.

"What, you just let him into your room to... study?" Steve asked. "Or for another pervy photo session?" Tommy commented. "We were just—" Nancy tried to explain but Steve cut her off. "You were just what? Finish that sentence. Finish the sentence." Nancy didn't say anything. What was she supposed to tell him? That we were out in the middle of the woods searching for a monster? "Go to hell, Nancy. YN," Jonathan said. Come on, let's just leave." He pulled Nancy back gently and as they were walking away Steve started his shit.

"You know what, Byers? I'm actually kind of impressed. I always took you for a queer, but I guess you're just a little screw-up like your father," he said and pushed him. Jonathan was ignoring him the best he could but Steve kept walking after them. I stepped in front of him, making him stop. "I suggest you stop, Harrington," I said. He looked down at me but kept going. "Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, that house is full of screw-ups. You know, I guess I shouldn't really be surprised. A bunch of screw-ups in your family," he said.

Jonathan had stopped. Jonathan, leave it," Nancy said. I mean, your mom... I'm not even surprised what happened to your brother," Steve kept going. "Steve, shut up!" I told him. "I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell you, but the Byers, their family, it's a disgrace to the entire—" I moved out of the way because I knew what was coming next. When he turned around he punched Steve. Then Steve retaliated and they started fighting.

Tommy tried to get in the way but it didn't help. "Jonathan, stop! Stop! You're going to hurt him! Jonathan, stop!" Nancy yelled. Jonathan was on top of Steve just repeatedly punching him. Then the cops showed up and pulled Jonathan off of him. Tommy helped Steve up and the four of them ran off. Jonathan, me, and Nancy were taken to the police station. Luckily they let me drive me and Nancy there while they put Jonathan in the back of the police car.

Nancy got Jonathan ice for his eye and held it for him since he was still cuffed. We sat and waited for a while until the chief showed up with Mrs. Byers. Apparently Nancy and Jonathan had gotten a few things, like bear traps, more ammo, and other things to try and catch this monster. We explained it to the Chief and Mrs. Byers about last night and surprisingly they believed us.