Chapter Thirteen: Dig Dug

ƃnp ƃıp
uǝǝʇɹıɥʇ ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ

November 3, 1984

The next day Dustin and I planned everything out. Mom was outside calling for Mews, I stood by the window to watch for her so I could signal Dustin that she was coming. "She's heading back up the driveway," I told him. He quickly picked the phone up and pretended to be talking to someone. "Dusty, baby, you're sure she's not in your room?" Mom asked as she walked in the door. Dustin didn't answer her though. "Uh-huh. Thank you so much, Mr. McCorkle. Thank you so much. You are a true lifesaver. All right, this was great.Thank you. All right. Have a good one. Bye-bye, now. All right. You, too," he said and hung up.

He turned to look at mom, "All right, great news," he said. I went over and stood beside her while he walked to stand in front of her. "They found her?" She asked. This was so heartbreaking to watch her be worried about Mews. After dad— well we won't talk about him. But Mews was her world besides Dustin and I of course. It was hard not to be able to just be honest with her. I felt like shit and I'm sure Dustin was feeling the same way. But we can't just say, "hey, so, an inter dimensional monster ate our cat." Who would believe that?

"No. But they saw her wandering around Loch Nora," Dustin told her. Mom sniffled, "How did the poor baby get all the way out there?" She asked. "I don't know. Lost, I guess. But
they're gonna look for her. And YN and I will stay here, just in case they call again. And you're gonna go help look? Yeah? Yeah?" Dustin said as she nodded. "Give me a hug. Give me a hug," Dustin said. Mom gave him a hug before she turned and gave me one. "Go get her. You're gonna find her," Sustin said. "Okay."

"We can find her," Dustin told her. I stood beside Dustin and put on a fake smile. "We can "find her," mom repeated. "I love you," Dustin said, blowing her a kiss. "I love you," she told us. "I love you," we both said in unison. "I love you," mom said again. "All right, go. All right." As soon as the door opened and we made sure mom left we shifted into action.

While I went outside and opened the cellar doors Dustin was grabbing the Bologna out of the fridge and laying a trail for Dart to follow all the way outside. Then he was going to open his bedroom door before running outside. We would hide close by and wait for him to go down in the cellar then quickly shut the doors and lock him inside.

"Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit" I looked to see Dustin running to the little shed he used as a hideout. I snorted seeing him all decked out in hockey gear with one oven mitt on. As soon as he was inside I closed the door and we waited. We looked through the slots in the boards. "Come on. Come on, I know you're hungry," Dustin mumbled. We gasped when we saw Dart coming out the door. "Yes. Yes, yes, yes." Dart followed the Bologna trail to the cellar door before stopping. He looked back towards the shed and we both cursed, pulling away. "Shit!"

We looked through the slots again to see Dart right outside. I pulled Dustin back against the wall. Then Dustin busted through the door yelling, scaring Dart before he used his hockey stick to knock him into the cellar. I rushed out and helped close the doors. We both laid flat on the doors on our stomachs. "I'm sorry. You ate our cat," Dustin said.we locked the cellar doors and went back inside. Now it was time for us to clean up Dustin's room and bury Mews..

Dustin went and grabbed Mews while I dug a grave for her. He threw her in the hole I dug and took the shovel from me. He was trying to get a hold of his friends but no one was answering. When we went back inside we got a bunch of cleaning supplies out from under the sink and headed to his room. Dustin again tried to get someone on the walkie. "Erica? Erica, is Lucas there?" He asked suddenly. We were scrubbing his floor when he got an answer. "Where is he?" He asked.

He waited until she answered and then asked, "Is he with Mike?" Silence again before he said, "Please tell him it's super important.Please tell him that I have a code..." he stopped and I assumed she cut him off. "Yep, code red. Exactly." Dustin had stopped scrubbing when Erica answered. He was now just kneeling and looking confused. "Erica?" He looked at me, "she turned the walkie off. That girl had some damn sass in her. Once we got the carpet as clean as we could we put everything away then I went to shower and change real quick. I just felt too gross to go out looking for his friends.

After I was done I grabbed my keys and we headed out the door and straight to Mike's house. Dustin has been trying to call him the past two hours but the line has been busy. When we got there w tan up to the door and Dustin knocked until Mr. Wheeler answered the door. "Your line has been busy for over two hours, Mr. Wheeler. Do you realize this?" Dustin asked him. "Oh, I do realize."

"Is Mike home?" Dustin asked. "No." Dustined sighed, "No? Well, where the hell is he?" He asked. "Karen, where's our son?" Mr. Wheeler yelled into the house. "Will's!" Mrs. Wheeler yelled back. "Will's." Dustin sighed again, "No one's picking up there. Nancy. What about Nancy?" He asked. Mr. Wheeler turned and asked Mrs.  Wheeler, "Karen, where's Nancy?" She replied with Ally's. "Our children don't live here anymore. You didn't know that?" Me. Wheeler asked. "Seriously?" Dustin asked, annoyed. "Am I done here?"

"Son of a bitch. You're really no help at all, you know that?" Dustin said and turned around. He grabbed my wrist and started pulling me away. "Hey! Language," Me. Wheeler called after us. "Sorry, Mr. Wheeler!" As we were walking back to my car Steve pulled up behind me. When he got out he had roses clutched in his hand and was mumbling to himself. He was here to try and make up with Nancy. Had to admit it hurt and pissed me off. But there was no time for that. "Steve," Dustin said. His hand was still wrapped around my wrist dragging me along.

"Are those for Mr. or Mrs. Wheeler?" He asked. Steve looked at him confused then looked at me, "No," he said. "Good!" Dustin said and grabbed the flowers. He shoved them at me and then walked up to Steve's car. "Hey. What the hell? Hey!" Steve objected. "Nancy isn't home," Dustin told him."Where is she?" He asked. "Doesn't matter. We have bigger problems than your love life. Do you still have that bat?" Dustin asked. "Bat? What bat?" Steve asked, looking at me. "The one with the nails? That you used last year," I said. "Why?" He asked. "I'll explain it on the way," Dustin said. "Now?" Steve asked, confused. "Now! We'll follow YN."