Chapter Eighteen: Suzie, Do You Copy?

ʎdoɔ noʎ op ǝızns
uǝǝʇɥƃıǝ ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ

June 28, 1985

I was out front with Robin serving ice cream when Will, Mike, Lucas, and Max showed up. Mike rang the bell several times. "Hey, Dingus, your children are here!" Robin called out for Steve. I was leaning on the counter when Steve opened the window that led into the break room. "Again? Seriously?" He asked. Mike rang the bell again and I walked over, slapping my hand over his. "Ring that bell one more time, Mike, I fucking dare you," I said. He just gave me an unamused look. "Come on, come on," I said, leading them into the break room. Steve opened the door to the back hall and the all filled out of the break room to the hall. "I swear, if anybody hears about this..." he said. "We're dead!" They all called, running down the hall.

We went back out front after Steve gave me a peck on the lips. Steve was slinging ice cream when the power went out. "What the hell?" I said. The whole mall was dark. "That's weird," Steve said, walking over and flipping on and off the light switch. "That isn't gonna work, dingus," Robin told him. "Oh, really?" He asked. The two of them were always bickering back and forth. He started doing it again and I sighed. "Steve, I love you, but if you don't knock it off," I said and then the lights came back on. "Let there be light." Steve smiled.

After our shift we closed up the store and walked out of the mall together. I said goodbye to Robin as she got into her oks car. Then Steve and I walked to his car, "you staying over tonight?" He asked. "I would love to, but I can't," I said. "What? why not?" He asked, pulling out of the parking lot. "I have to pick Dustin up in the morning," I said. Steve hand gripped my thigh where his hand was on my leg. "That little shits always getting in the way," he laughed. "You've had me all to yourself for the past month," I said, laughing.

June 29, 1985

"This is Gold Leader, returning to base. Do you copy? Over. This is Gold Leader, returning
to base. Do you copy? Over. I repeat: This is Gold Leader, returning to base. Do you copy? Over. I repeat: This is goddamn Gold Leader..." I was driving home after picking Dustin up from camp. Mom was at home with his friends helping them set up for his surprise return party or whatever it was. I would need to go into work shortly after. "Dusty!" I said. He looked over at me, "What?" He asked. "Relax! For fuck sake," I told him. "I'm in range. They should be answering," he said. "You've been away a whole month, dude. Maybe they just..." I trailed off. "forgot."

I pulled into the driveway behind mom's car and Dustin got out, slamming the door, and heading for inside. "Dude! Don't slam my fucking doors!" I yelled. I walked inside right after him seeing him go into his room. I saw the kids hiding in the kitchen. "Now," I whispered. El used her powers to start making Dustin's toys start to move and come out into the living room. "It's just a dream. You're dreaming."

As soon as he was in the living room El stopped the toys and they all quietly came out from their hiding spots and started blowing their noisemakers. Dustin screamed and sprayed hairspray in Lucas's eyes, who in turn screamed. "On that note, I'm going to get ready for work so I'm not late. Just run out his face under the faucet in the kitchen sink?" Max nodded and led Lucas to the kitchen. I went to my room, changed, and then ran out to my car before heading off to work.

"Are you not like, jealous or anything with him flirting with other girls?"Robin asked. Steve was out front slinging ice cream while we were in the back. We had made a bet with Steve when he said he still had game and could get a date with ease. I laughed, "No. i kind of think it's funny Mr. King of Hawkins, Steve "The Hair" Harrington lost his game since we graduated. Besides he won't get a date and if he does somehow get one he'll make an excuse not to go." We laughed as we heard him groan and the window slid open.

Robin got up and put another tally mark on the "you suck" side of the white board. "No luck, babe?" I asked, going over to lean on the counter in front of him. "I'm not even trying. Why would I try and get a date when I have you?" He said. I patted his cheek, "aww. How sweet. Just admit you lost your game and we'll call it even," I said. "No way! I still have my game. I just don't need to turn it on because I already have a beautiful girlfriend." Robin fake gagged behind me, "get a room," she said. Steve leaned over and kissed me before going back to work.

"So are you going to come over tonight?" Steve asked after work. "Only if you follow me home so I can get a change of clothes and leave my car there," I told him. I was leaning on the drive side door of my car, Steve in front of me, hands on the hood caging me in. "I can do that," he whispered, leaning down and kissing me. I opened the car door and slipped inside laughing when he groaned in annoyance at the loss. "Then follow me, lover boy," I said.

When we pulled into the driveway Steve stayed outside in his car while I ran inside. I changed out of my uniform into some sweatpants and a tee shirt. I grabbed my clean uniform and checked on Dustin. When I peeked into his room he was already asleep so I quietly shut his door and went to my moms room. I knocked softly hearing her say it was okay to come in. "Hey, mom. Just wanted to let you know I'm going to stay with Steve," I told her. "Okay, sweetie. I love you," she said. I walked over, kissed her cheek, "I love you too." Then ran out the front door, getting in Steve's car.