Chapter Sixteen: Part Three

ǝǝɹɥʇ ʇɹɐd
uǝǝʇxıs ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ

November 5, 1984

"Everybody shut up! I'm trying to focus!" Max yelled. "Oh, wait, that's Mount
Sinai. Make a left," Lucas said. "What?" Max asked. "Make a left!" He yelled. Then the car was making a sharp left. "I take it back! I take it back!" I yelled. We sped into the field where Happer dug the hole and Max slammed on the brakes making the car come to a skidding halt right before it got to the hole. "Never again. Next time just knock my ass the fuck out!" I yelled. "Told you. Zoomer," Max said. The kids got out of the car while I pushed Steve off of me and he ended up falling out of the car. "Sorry!"

We tried arguing with the kids about going down in the hole but they weren't listening. Dustin shoved my bat and backpack towards me. I reluctantly put it on and wrapped a bandanna around my nose and mouth. Steve was still yelling for the kids to stop. I stepped in front of him, "Steve, look at me." He looked down at me. "This is fucking crazy and stupid. I know that. But a party member needs assistance. And we promised we would keep these little assholes safe. It's literally my job to keep them safe," I said. I handed him his bag and he took it with a sigh.

We dropped a rope down the hole and Steve jumped down first. The kids went next with mine and Steve's help. Then I went down, Steve's hands wrapped around my waist and helped me down. "Thanks," I mumbled. We shine our lights both ways, "Holy shit."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's this way," Mike said. "You're pretty sure, or you're certain?" Dustin asked. "I'm 100% sure. Just follow me and you'll know," Mike said. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hey, hey, hey, hey. I don't think so. Any of you little shits die down here, YN and I are getting the blame. Got it, dipshit? From here on out, I'm leading the way. YN takes up the back so nobody gets left behind. Come on, let's go." We started walking. "Come on. Hey, a little hustle!"

We were walking through the tunnels, white particles floating all around us. "Shit! Help! Help! Help!" Dustin started yelling. "Dustin!" I ran forward where he was and pulled him up off the ground. "What happened?" Steve asked, coming up beside us. "It's in my mouth!
Some got on my mouth! Shit!" Dustin freaked out. He started coughing and spitting then looked up at me and Steve. "I'm okay." I pushed him "You serious?" I asked. "Very funny, man," Steve said. Him and the other three turned around and started walking away. I pulled Dustin by his jacket and followed after them. "Little shit."

"All right, Wheeler. I think we found your hub," Steve said, as we came out from a big opening with a bunch of different pathways. "Drench it," Mike said. We started drenching it in gasoline then stood together. "You ready?" Steve asked. "Light her up," Dustin told him. Steve flicked the lighter on, " we are in such deep shit," he said before dropping the lighter. "Go! Go. Go go!" I said. We ushered the kids back through the tunnels but stopped when Dart came up behind us. We tried arguing with Dustin to stay away but he didn't listen.

The rest of us backed away while we pulled out three musketeers. It worked and Dart let us pass but him. "Dustin, come on," I said. I grabbed his hand and pulled him with me to the hole so we could climb up. Steve and I  helped the kids climb up the rope. It was just me, Dustin, and Steve left when a bunch of demo-dogs came running at us. We screamed but they just started running past us. Dustin had his arms wrapped around my waist while Steve held onto both of us so we wouldn't fall. "Eleven," Mike said. Steve and I helped Dustin up then Steve helped me up. Steve climbed the rope and we stood there watching as a bright light came then dimmed. The gate was closed. Eleven had done it.

One Month Later

The lab was closed, Barb finally got a funeral. Jonathan and Nancy were dating and Steve and I started hanging out more. He was still giving Dustin horrible advice about getting girls but I just ignored it. Dustin really liked Steve. Tonight was Snow  Ball at the middle school.

"Son of a bitch!" I walked out of my room seeing Dustin in his suit. "Something wrong?" I asked. "Son of a bitch!" He said again walking into the living room. I followed after him. He was trying to look for the Farrah Fawcett spray he had bugged me to buy him until I did. "Where did you see it last?"Mom asked. "Right here where YN put it," he said. "What's in there that's so important anyway? You look fabulous, baby," she said. "Got it!" He said, smiling and running back to his room.

Mom looked at me, "you look so beautiful, sweetie," She said. I smiled and went over to her. I leaned down and kissed her cheek, "thank you, mom." I was going on a date with Steve tonight after we dropped Dustin off at the school. The doorbell rang, "shit! Shit!" I yelled and ran back to my room. "That's your ride! Dusty! Y/n/n!" Mom called. I checked myself in the mirror and then walked out of my room just as Dustin walked out of his.

"Nice hair," I said. He smiled, "thank you. You look... like a girl," he said. "Umm... thanks?" I said it as more of a question. "Shit no! I mean you look nice. I think you and Steve would make a good couple. Please date him," he said. I laughed and pushed him towards the living room where Steve was waiting for us. "Wow. You look beautiful," Steve said. "Thanks," Dustin and I said in unison. Steve and I looked at him, "oh! You were talking to my sister. Got it. Can we go?" He asked and walked out the door.

We pulled up to the school. I had let Dustin sit in the front with Steve not really wanting to argue with him and he was a little nervous. I leaned forward between the seats. "So, remember, once you get in there..." Steve said. "Pretend like I don't care," Dustin said. "You don't care," Steve told him. "I don't care," Dustin said again. I sighed and rolled my eyes. "There you go. You're learning, my friend. You're learning." Dustin moved the rearview mirror and Steve stopped him.

"Come on. You look great, okay? You look... You look great. Okay? Now you're gonna go in there... Look like a million bucks. And you're gonna slay 'em dead," he said. "Like a lion," Dustin said and then purred. Steve and I looked at him. I was trying not to laugh. "Don't do that, okay?" Steve said. "Okay." Dustin opened the door and I got out of the back seat. "Good luck," Steve told him.

I stood in front of Dustin and fixed his tie. "You look great. Just be yourself, okay? Don't listen to Steve he doesn't know what he's talking about," I told him and laughed at Steve's hey. "Have fun." He gave me a hug and walked into the school. I got into the front seat and closed the door. I looked at Steve and he smiled at me. "Ready?" He asked. I nodded, "yeah. I think I am, Harrington." He laughed and drove off.

A/N: Season 2 over now on to season 3