In the beginning

For Nathalie there was only one Man in the world or at least thats what she thought. The famous fashion designer Gabriel Agreste. But she knows her feelings for this man are one sidet and he would never feel the same. Not just because he was married. His wife may have disappeared to the public a year ago and hasn't been seen since, but Nathalie was the only person besides Gabriel who knew the truth. She knew about Emilie's fate that she was lying in the secret basement of the villa in a coffin made out of glass that was supposed to prevent anything from happening to her flawless body. She had already died an unnatural death brought about by the peacock's Miraculous. Nathalie had never been able to understand how Emilie, a woman who had everything she had ever dreamed of was able to just got that far and trow her own life away in such a manner. She had a beloved man at by her side and a loving son and yet she gave that life to a magical object that had taken her life.
Shortly before it happened, Gabriel had to promise her to get her back at any cost. And that was Hawkmoth's birth. It was painfully clear to Nathalie that Gabriel would only do everything for Emilie, just as she was ready to do everything for him. She had tried to approach him several times. To make it clear to him that it wasn't good for him to be so attached to the past that it became unable to him to see the future. But he of course wouldn't listen to her. He didn't even want to payed attention to her. Not at least as much as he needet to. She was used to the fact that he was not the man of many words or someone from whom you could expect nice gestures, unless your first name was Emilie and your last name was Agreste. He wasn't someone who showed his feelings openly either, something they had in common. It all howefer changed as she herself used the cursed Miraculous to save him and to demonstrated what she was ready to do for him, what she would give to see Gabriel smile. Only after that did she feel he was finally paying attention to her. Finally see that she is there for him. That she wouldn't shrink back for him to become an opponent of the heroes. She didn't mind that her health would continue to fade the more she used the Miraculous, because in that moment she would get something much more important. Gabriel's closeness.

It had been two months since Ladybug was named the new Guardian and the Miraculous Box had passed into her possession. Just after Hawkmoth and Mayura had finally managed to find out who the Old Guardian was. But it was not all for nothing, Mayura or better Nathalie herself had managed to load a translation of the book onto her tablet with which they had finally managed to repair the peacock miraculous. She had sacrificed her last strength for it and was only able to work from bed for a while after that. Gabriel would have preferred that she would have taken herself completely off, but the day on which Nathalie Sancouer would take a day off has yet to be created.
"Good morning, Sir," Nathalie greeted you as she walked into the office like every morning and put a cup of coffee on her boss's desk before she went to her own.
"Good morning, Nathalie" Gabriel greeted her back before he took the cup in his hand. "What's the plan for today?"
"The new client will get in touch with us around 10 o'clock, I will then hand off him to you so that you can discuss the upcoming collection with him, and the big gala is coming up tonight, at which you are expected as a special guest. " at these words Gabriel started to make quite the sad face. He preferred to not have to leave the house. The few times he was forced to do where allready enough for him.
"Judging by your look, you want me to be there instead of so I have to act as your representative, am I right Mr. Agreste?" Natalie hat watched him as he has not responed in any way.
"I just don't like the fake smile, the friendly handshakes .. and all that"
"It's just part of your job"
"My job is to design, not to flatter"
"To design and to flatter the people who make sure that I have my money in the account every month" Nathalie corrected him and took a sip of coffee from her cup triumphantly when she heard Gabriel sigh slightly.
"I just have to be ready when I notice a negative feeling," Gabriel admited now. He always used it as an excuse not to leave the house. Even if he had succeeded more than once in akumatizing someone outside his own four walls.
"With all due respect, Monsieur, it is also your job to do your job."
Nathalie had to remind Gabriel repeatedly of his task in the last few year, which he was only too happy to neglect for the chance of an akumatazation. It was thanks to her that Gabriel was still possible to be here. In general, he owed her a lot. Without her it wasn't possible for him to be Hawkmoth and Gabriel Agreste at the same time, without her he wouldn't be able to take care of Adrien, without her, his chance to get Emilie back wouldn't be as good as it was now. Gabriel was very well aware of this and she had openly admitted it when he stood in front of his wife's glass coffin. Why hadn't he told Nathalie that himself? He assumed she was already aware of it.
Gabriel slowly moved his finger across his screen to open an old file with templates that he wanted to continue working on, when a negative feeling overcame him and it run like a shiver down his spine. It was so strong, so impossible to ignore.
"We'll continue here later!" he said quickly before he turned around to the beautiful painting of his wife in the golden frame, which also served as a safe and access to his secret hiding place.
"Gabriel?" Nathalie now asked uncertainly but well aware what he was about to do.
"I just want to try. It is such a strong emotion!" he said before he finally disappeared and left Nathalie alone, who now sighed and sit down again on her chair to shook her head. "He can be such a child.."
"Miss Nathalie?" it came out of her jacket pocket. Her little Kwami Duusu looked up at her worriedly.
"I'm fine. It's just ..." she admitted "I'm well again, why can't I support him?"
"He just wants you to rest more!" tried her little extraordinary friend to cheer her up.
"It's been 2 months already. I'm healthy again, Duusu"
"Hmm .." she screwed up her face in concern. "But you where in such a bad condision after the last time you became Mayura. He definitely doesn't want you to go through this again."
"But the Miraculous is fixed ... maybe he doesn't need me anymore .."
"Oh no!" Duusu said in horror and came flying out of the little bag to sit on the desk. "Don't say that. I think he just really continues to worry about your health!"
"hmh ... who knows", Nathalie uttered sadly while turning to an email. Worrying about it wouldn't help either. She should speak to him about it herself.
A message made Nathalie's cell phone light up briefly, to which Duusu flew interested. It was the news that reported about the appearance of a new Akuma victim, which Nathalie herself was not particularly interested in. She had heard this news so many times that following it consistently would only distract her. And someone had to keep the business alive.

It was getting late and Nathalie got ready in her room to go to the Galar instead of Gabriel. He had used the failure of his Akumas as another excuse not to show up there today and so it had become her duty to be there instead of him. "People think, I will be the boss now giving how often I had to takes his place" he trought to herself.
With one last movement, she put a necklace on and then looked at herself in the mirror. As always, she wore her hair in a bun, since she find any other way a bit uncomfortable, while she chose simpler necklace and a jumpsuit. She had never had the feeling to look really beautiful in clothes and pants gave her a feeling of security. Furthermore, she had pockets in which she could put her things.
"You look beautiful!" Duusu squeaked happily, which of course observed her the whole time.
"It's nothing special .." said Nathalie just before she was distracted by the knock on her door. She quickly gave Duusu a sign to hide before carrying to the door and opening it. Gabriel stood in front of this. He had taken off his jacket and now only wore his tie, which was supposed to hide his Miraculous from his son, his jacket and of course his pants.
"Gabriel .." Nathalie uttered surprised. "Did something happen?"
"No. I just wanted to see how you're doing and .." he lowered his gaze slightly to the floor. "I've been thinking and we need to talk .."
Nathalie looked at her watch with surprise. She still had enough time. Quickly she stepped aside so he could be able to come in. "What can I do for you?"
Gabriel stepped in slowly and closed the door behind him. Duusu looked curiously out of her hiding place.
"I don't know how to phrase it ..."
"Say it freely."
"I want to use your Miraculous"
Despair now spread to Nathalie. With that she had her conversation about the future of Mayura. "You ... want to use it yourself?" she asked carefully
"I just think with both of them I might be more likely to win. I would be stronger.."
"Oh, so you don't need me anymore?" Nathalie spoke faster than she could have stopped herself.
"I did not say that!" Gabriel contradicted her. "I think I would just be more powerful!" Apperently the failure of his akuma was so shoking for him that he now wants to use both?
Nathalie walked past him without a word and went to the closet on the door of which her jacket was hanging, from which she took the Miraculous and gave it to Gabriel.
"I have a gala to attend ..." with these words, Nathalie grabbed her handbag and left the room, slamming the door behind her. She was hurt. Very hurt. She thought she had made some progress, but apparently for Gabriel she was nothing more than a stepstone that should bring him back to the life he once had. She had sacrificed her own health for him, which she had suggested herself, but now that she no longer needed it it was apparently okay for him to throw her away like an empty can. She was so mad about it. Even though she always knew he does this all just for his Wife. But still. The Truth hurts.
Gabriel himself stayed behind in the room and Duusu continued to look at him uncertainly from her hiding place. She didn't dare utter a single sound. Something she usually did at any cost.
"Duusu .. I know that you are there" Gabriel now spoke softly "Come here .."
Slowly and with bowed head, the little Kwami followed the words and with one sentence disappeared into the brooch which Gabriel now safely stowed away and left into the room.