as the world caves in

It's been one minute since her heart has stopped beating.

There's blood streaming down her closed eyes. He'd seen them seconds before they'd shut forever, fogged and grey, replacing the blue eyes he'd fallen so deep into, so many times before. He holds onto her lifeless frame, thinking of what they could've become. They had a movie date on Friday, planned through messy scribbles on a notepad, mere minutes before. Why had he ever proposed? He couldn't do this. No, no, no. Vecna couldn't have taken away her life only just before it could have a chance of becoming whole again.

A clock chime sounds, somewhere, in this house, on the other side, he doesn't know. Then a second, then a third. The fourth chime of the grandfather clock sounded. The fourth kill. Chrissy, Fred, Patrick. Max was the last to succumb to Vecna's line of murders. Max was dead. In this dusty attic, in his shaking arms, the love of his life was dead. Gone. He'd thought, just a matter of hours before, that there would've been a chance of the world turning right again, free from the chaos of the Upside Down. That boy from beyond this mess was stupid. So stupid, naive, hopeful.

The walls of the attic begin to shake, causing dust to fall, objects spilling around. A luminescent glint of red forms in the cracks of wood next to Max's broken legs. A sign of the Upside Down, a sign of terrible danger. The fourth gate. If the others had won their battles, it was too late. They'd lost the war. He pulls her broken body away from the entrance clawing wood.

The glowing gate grows, reaching to ends of the attic and bursting through the front of the Creel House. It kills Jason, the asshole who led this mess into the town, splitting him in two. He was out of the way now, the bastard. The cracking sound of the gate spreading ruptures the atmosphere, destroying what sounded like streets, houses, neighbourhoods. Hawkins itself was falling. He can only hope Erica is safe, calling for help.

As the world caves in, around his home, the girl in his arms remains lifeless, broken. He's left here, with nothing but the ghost of his first love. Would she be only one, too, leaving him with no love left to give to another?
Then, he feels it. A pulse, beating faintly on the side of her neck under his bloodied hand. A rush of shock and hope hits him, as he hears her faint heartbeat pulsing, a shallow breath escapes her lips.

She's alive.