where's my love

Despair and hopelessness has been dragged down, sunken to the deepest parts of his heart in where he can't feel. He feels nothing now.

I can't feel or see anything.

He can still hear the snapping of her bones, the fear in her voice and in his blood as she fought till the last minute.

I don't wanna die, I'm not ready.

She didn't want to go, why had he let her? He tried, tried so hard to fight him off. In the end, it wasn't enough.

All he can do now is sit beside her and patiently, desperately, willfully wait for his love to return. If she ever wakes up, he'll be there for her. No - when. There is no word, if. He can't imagine a life without her, if she doesn't wake. Before he lost her, before she lost herself, she was always there to encourage him, dismiss his terrible jokes, to laugh and break and cry alongside him. The people they were before, they could return, just this time, a little more broken. But they could fix eachothers' broken pieces together. So, when she returns, when she wakes up - he'll be there.

His determination doesn't stop the feeling of doubt, though. The drops of dread, trickling down the back of his neck. The fear in his blood. The sinking doubt that she'll come back home gnaws at him, every second of every minute he waits. Every minute of every day in the confined space of the dull hospital room. And the thought of her staying this way, never again having her presence around anymore, haunted him at night.

To think, a year ago they'd be at the mall, eating icecream, watching movies, no worries in sight. Six months back, they were mockingly singing together The Neverending Story to annoy Dustin. Later that night, she cried in his arms. To think, three months back, they'd be fighting over a stupid basketball game. Nothing mattered in the end. So what the hell had happened to them? What did they do to deserve this? Now she's lost or hiding away, like the ghost she became before the curse. The ghost he'd let her become. If only he had knocked on the right door, if only he had searched hard enough.

She lays right next to him as he sits in the uncomfortable hospital chair. Their bodies are inches apart, yet her mind is miles away.

How could someone so close feel so far away?

He reaches out to hold her hand, fragile fingers poking out of plaster. He begs her once again.
"Please, Max," Lucas whispers, "just come home."