Arc 1 End: Two Promises at Dawn

________________________________________________________________________________

Yusei glanced at the blade in the corner of the room, it was awkwardly shaped, unlike any other sword he had seen in his time. Durandal was beautiful, he could admit that. The blue blade was sparking unrelenting confidence, but at the same time, the gold edge radiated royalty as if the broadsword was above every blade. 

Durandal, the sword that was meant to protect the innocent, which Roland wielded, the individual said to have fought against an army of 10,000 men with this blade. This legend...No the sword itself should have sparked adoration from him but there wasn't any. 

Yusei only felt disgusted towards himself, he had betrayed two of his precious friends in order to gain this legendary weapon...It had been a day since he arrived in this hotel, waiting for the Vali Team to pick him up. 

Surprisingly, Durandal didn't create a huge commotion but it still refused to acknowledge him as its wielder and he didn't really mind not being worthy as he didn't consider himself a noble individual. However, Yusei was more worried about whether he could use it or not because if he couldn't then the sacrifices that he did would have been in vain.......

Yusei gripped the blade and tried injecting his Holy Energy into Durandal, but there were still signs of extreme rejection. 'I really do hope that the Khaos Bridage has a method to make me its wielder...If not then the sacrifice wouldn't be worth it.' 

......Who was he kidding, the actions that he did weren't a sacrifice but rather the actions that a coward would do. Yusei could never excuse his actions because it wasn't the terrorist group that forced a Holy Sword into Xenovia's stomach, it was him who did it willingly..... it wasn't a necessary thing to do....And yet he still did it. 

A horrible feeling erupted inside his body making him grimace, this feeling was similar to how he felt when he was powerless against the Stray Devil who ate his family...Yusei shook his head, 'Stop thinking about that......' His eyes shifted once more into Durandal, and his eyes softened, ' Xenovia, Irina... I hope you can forgive me.'  

He sat in silence with his mind blank waiting for the eventual arrival of the Vali Team. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Xenovia's eyes opened as she groggily sat up, greedily looking at her surroundings trying to figure out where exactly she was. It wasn't very hard for her to figure out where she was, it was a room dedicated to those wounded to recover. 

She glanced towards Irina who she had spotted already nearby asleep on a chair. Xenovia commanded her body to move but a powerful stinging pain came from her stomach leaving her somewhat bewildered. 'Where did this injury come from??' 

"Seiji...." 

Upon hearing the name Irina mumbled in her sleep, Xenovia remembered the past events that occurred. She remembered being stabbed in the stomach by Seiji before seeing him run off with Durandal before finally blacking out from blood loss. 

Unconsciously, Xenovia gripped the bed sheets as she realized that she had lost Durandal to someone. She knew the implications of losing such an important weapon, she would probably get kicked out and deemed a failure. 

Her eyes began to water and Xenovia knew that it had to be because of the potential consequence of being kicked out of the Church...It had to be right?? It wasn't because of the surging memories, she was having about 'Seiji' coming into the forefront of her mind. 

'Why?? Why had he betrayed them?' 

Xenovia couldn't deny that 'Seiji' betraying them hurt even more than being potentially kicked out of the Church. 

She wondered if the only reason why 'Seiji' became friends with her was to steal Durandal...Was this a trial done by the Lord to test her faith, it was unlikely. She should have known that friendships would amount to nothing. 

However, her previous statement was difficult to prove as the memories that she had with him still kept coming angering her beyond belief. 'Stop thinking of him! HE BETRAYED US!! ME!!!' 

The thought of the betrayal was angering but at the same time, it was hard to swallow the fact that the friendship between them was all a lie. 

The water in her eyes began to form into tears before beginning to flow down her face, but as quickly as they flowed down, they were wiped off by her hands. 

'Why? Why did this happen? Damn you Seiji! How could you!!!' 

________________________________________________________________________________

Finally, after waiting for quite some time, the Vali Team which consisted of Vali and Kuroka eventually arrived and began to escort Yusei out of Vatican City. 

Kuroka tried her best to make some small talk with Yusei but stopped once she saw that he wasn't in the mood for jokes while Vali simply didn't even attempt small talk. 

They were finally out of the city where The Church was most prominent in, and Yusei couldn't help but look at the city once more admiring its beauty compiled with the occurring sunset. 

Even though it wasn't raining, a small water droplet splashed onto the ground. 

'I promise you'  ________________________________________________________________________________

Xenovia glanced out the window that she had access to...Irina had long been awake but refused to talk but instead opted to cry tears of pain. 

Griselda had come around and chasted her for losing the Holy Sword but thankfully her guardian decided to help her not get kicked out of the Church. 

She glanced at her long hair and finally decided to cut it in the future, although this style suited her, she felt that it was getting a bit old. Xenovia felt that cutting her hair would define a new section of her life. 

Again her gaze turned to the sunset before a smile came on her face. 

'I promise you' 
________________________________________________________________________________

'The next time we meet.' 

Both spoke from the bottom of their heart, wishing that their counterpart would somehow be able to listen to the promise they would create. 

________________________________________________________________________________

'I will make it up to you.'

'I will kill you.' 

Two promises were created at sunset, one that was starving for redemption while the other starved for revenge. ________________________________________________________________________________

If you see any mistakes, please tell me! Thanks! And that is the End of Act 1? Did it provide good character development? Was it bad? Please let me know!