Chapter 4: The Body

I heard a knock at my door. I was lying in bed with my Walkman and stuffed animals held close to my chest. I didn't want to move, talk, draw, or do anything, I just wanted to sit in silence.

    "Go away, Steve." I groaned and turned up the volume on my music. I heard some noise but couldn't hear it clearly due to my music.

    "Leave me alone." I ripped off my headphones and turned around to see Dustin standing in my doorway.

    "S-Shit, sorry Dustin, I-"

    "It's okay, Y/n." He interrupted me, "Mike wants everyone to meet up at his place, you weren't picking up your walkie so I decided to just come over."

    "Oh," I responded. I sat up and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. My hair looked like a rat's nest and the bags under my eyes were so huge they made me look like I hadn't slept in a week.

    "Can you wait downstairs for me to get ready?" I questioned. Dustin nodded and then awkwardly exited my room, closing the door behind him. I changed out of my pajamas and tossed on the first outfit I saw, I brushed my hair and my teeth, then left my room and rode over to Mike's place with Dustin.

    Dustin, Mike, Lucas, El, and I sat in Mike's basement listening to the sound of crying on a radio. El was using her powers to find a frequency and claiming it was Will. As I heard the crying I felt very conflicted, I had just seen his body, but that sounded a lot like him.

    "We keep losing the signal, but you heard it right?" Mike asked.

    "Yeah, I heard a baby." Lucas spat, "You've obviously tapped into a baby monitor. It's probably the Blackburns next door."

    "Uh did that sound like a baby to you? That was Will!" Mike claimed.

    "Mike..." Lucas said disapprovingly.

    "Lucas, you don't understand. He spoke last night. Words! He was singing that weird song he loves. Even El heard him!" Mike defended.

    "Oh well if the weirdo heard him then I guess-" Lucas began.

    "Are you sure you're on the right channel?" Dustin interrupted.

    "I don't think it's about that. I think, somehow, she's channeling him." Mike explained.

    "Like Professor X?" I questioned.

    "Yeah!" Mike agreed.

    "Are you actually believing this crap?" Lucas asked me.

    "Do you remember that time Will fell off his bike and broke his finger?" I asked.

    "He sounded a lot like that," Dustin added.

    "Did you guys not see what I saw?! They pulled Will's body out of the water! He's dead!" Lucas yelled. My mind went back to the moment they pulled Will's body out of the water. I thought about the sights, the sounds, the smells, the overwhelming feeling of dread, the... everything. I was pulled out of my own mind by the mention of the Heathkit ham shack radio.

    "The Heathkit's at school," Dustin noted.

    "There's no way we're going to get El in there without someone noticing." I pointed out, "I'll do her makeup, you guys find some clothes and a wig." As everyone began to split up, Dustin pulled me aside.

    "Hey, Y/n. Are you okay?" He asked.

    "Yeah, yeah, I-I'm fine," I responded, Dustin was unconvinced, "Okay... What Lucas said got on my nerves. I just don't want to think about that moment ever again for as long as I live!" Dustin held out his arms, offering a hug. I accepted and hugged him back for a few moments before El came over and tapped on my shoulder.