Chapter 10: MADMAX (S2)

It was October 29th and I was digging through my couch cushions. Dustin, Will, Lucas, Mike, and I were going to the arcade that day, so naturally, I was looking for some spare quarters. No luck, stupid Steve; not dropping any quarters down the couch for when I need them.

I sighed and went into the one room in my house that I hadn't checked yet. Mom and dad's old room. It had barely been touched since they left, we only ever went in there when we needed some old documents that they kept in their closet. I quietly dug through their drawers, searching for spare change. They had walked out on us four months ago, so I think that gave me the right to violate their privacy a little bit. That's when I saw it, mom's old coin purse, jackpot!

I excitedly dashed into my room and grabbed my walkie-talkie, looking forward to proudly announcing my haul. I flopped on my bed and poured the coins out, counting how many quarters I had and ignoring the rest.

"Guys, do you copy? I've got eight quarters!" I proudly proclaimed, "What about you guys?"

"Damn! I only have four," Dustin responded.

"What about you, Lucas?" I asked.

"Take Dustin's puny haul and multiply it by five!" Lucas announced.

"How?!" Dustin questioned.

"While you guys were scrounging around like homeless bums, I mowed Old Man Humphrey's lawn!" Lucas teased.

"Old Man Humphrey's got that kind of cash?" Dustin inquired with shock.

"I'll call Mike!" I chirped, changing the frequency until I heard his voice, "Mike, do you copy?"
"Yeah. Yeah, I copy," Mike replied.

"What are you doing on this channel?"
"Nothing."

"Dustin, Lucas, and I have eight bucks total, what about you?"

"Shit! I don't know yet."

"What?"

"Hold on. Call Will," Mike disconnected. I flopped down on my bed and sighed. I switched back to Lucas and Dustin's channel to hear them bickering about god knows what.

"Hey guys, can one of you call Will?" I asked.

"Sure, what's Mike's haul?" Dustin questioned.

"He doesn't know yet. I've gotta go, over and out," I replied, turning off my walkie. I left my room and wandered down the hall to Steve's room. I lightly knocked on the slightly opened door, catching his attention.

"I'm going to the arcade with the guys in a few. Is that cool?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure. Go have fun, four-eyes!" Steve responded, "Oh! By the way, the eye doctor called, your new glasses are ready so we need to pick those up."

"'Kay see ya!" I replied, dashing down the hallway and back into my room. I shoved my walkie-talkie and quarters into my bag, zipped it up, and ran out to the garage. I contemplated for a moment whether or not to ride my skateboard instead of my bike, I shrugged and thought why not?

Since my eye doctor was only a little out of the way from my route to the arcade, I stopped by and picked up my new glasses. They were big, black, wire-framed, circular glasses that fit my face shape well. I put them on and blinked a couple of times, adjusting to the improved prescription. I glanced in one of the mirrors they had peppered throughout the shop. I looked nice, but they were going to take some getting used to.

Upon arriving at the arcade, I was met with weird looks from Dustin, Mike, and Lucas. Mike and Lucas seemed confused, but Dustin looked like he was almost... in awe?