the first peony

"Is it to your liking, this banquet, Jeoha?" Queen Moyeon asks the Crown Prince from her place at his right.

Yi Hyun turns toward her and looks at the queen carefully. As all of the queens before her, she is the one with all the power to change the dynamic within the royal court.

From the smallest thing, like assignment of a court lady, to a bigger thing, taking care of the king's concubine for one, and especially the most important thing: choosing the wife(s) of the heir to the throne, it is all within her authority.

Beside Ko Sanggung, the Queen is the only mother figure he has all his life. Considering he isn't her child by birth, she does a good job with him. Not that he knows otherwise.

"Jungjeon Mama," he bows down at her. "This banquet— is certainly exceeding my expectation. My deepest gratitude for arranging such beautiful affair."

To say Yi Hyun is delighted by the festive banquet is an understatement. The crown prince is sitting comfortably, smiling wide as he enjoys performance after performance from the royal court that graces the stage.

The court ladies presents him with a play from one of traditional folktales, the guards displays their swordsmanship through a fiery dance, and even the queen herself gifts him a musical performance with her gayageum.

"I am glad to hear such approving words from you, Jeoha, after all, tonight is for you. I hope your choice of ladies approve this, too."

"I certainly wish for them to find tonight memorable."

He doesn't expect to feel this jolly about the inauguration and the race, but he is. He genuinely appreciates the parade of women presented to him;
to borrow Eon-jin's word: they are unique.

It makes his task for the night to honor one of the lady with the first impression flower a little more daunting. Especially with the restriction the queen imposed on him a few nights ago when she shared the inauguration mechanics.

"I know you already have your preference among the ladies you chose, Jeoha."

"I have someone in mind, true."

She smiled tentatively while sipping her jasmine tea. "I am aware you have a sweet camaraderie with Lady Son."

"