Chapter 5

"YOU DID WHAT?!"

"I'm sorry!" Powder cried. "I tried to fight him off with Mouser...but...she didn't work."

I looked at her in confusion then remembered what she was talking about. She has these stupid little inventions that she makes to help her fight. Apparently they're supposed to explode and shoot out nails or whatever she puts inside them. They literally never work.

"Who saw that coming?!" Mylo said with sarcasm.

"We never should have gone over there" Claggor moaned as he put a hand to his head. I sighed as and slid down the wall of a building.

"It doesn't matter, the stuffs gone" Violet said as she walked over to her sister and sighed. "It's alright, Powder. At...At least you're ok."

She walked past her and up a small flight of steps. Claggor and Mylo followed her.

"Okay?! What about us?! I get my face bashed in and she just gets a pass?" Mylo complained.

"Yup" Violet simply stated. She walked through a door and let everyone else through.

I sighed and hurriedly followed behind them.

We came upon a small elevator like entry way and stood there as Violet pulled a lever. Two lanterns lit in the entryway as the elevator moved down.

"Every time." Mylo sighed. He pushed off of the wall of the elevator and got into Powder's face. "Every time she comes something goes wrong. She jinxes every job."

Powder looked away from him in sadness. My heart began to race at his words. My guard was forcefully put up and I became tense. For some reason, anger and fear rose inside me. Something was back.

He can't do that, It said. He's just making it worse!

I immediately stomped my foot and groaned.

"Just drop it Mylo!" I said as I rolled my eyes.

He sighed and retreated. The group got quiet, the sound of the rickety elevator was the only thing that filled our ears. As we descended, the dim glow of home came into view. A wide, dirty, dark street filled with shady shops and Lanes sat before us as the elevator came to a stop. Giant buildings towered high over all our heads.

Violet put on her hood and nodded to the rest of us as we stepped off the elevator. We stayed close to each other and kept our heads down as we headed down the street.

I took this moment to look around us. There were creatures of all kinds, not just humans. There was a tall man with a robotic face that looked down on us as we walked past him. A skinny, malnourished man sat atop a cage. Inside it sat a monstrous creature who had started to make a fuss as we passed by. The man punched at the cage with an evil grin on his face as he stared at us. I quickly looked away and tried to find something else to focus on. I looked ahead of us and a small smile grew across my face.

An old, tall house like building stood a few yards away. A huge sign at the top lit the darkness around the building. The sign read: The Last Drop. Customers filed in and out of the bar.

We quickly pushed open the doors of the bar and walked inside. Dim neon lights filled the room as well as Lanes of all kinds drinking, playing games, smoking, having meetings, etc etc. My eyes wandered to the back of the room and caught the eye of a tall, muscular man, sitting at a table with three other people. I immediately looked back down and hurried off into the back rooms of the bar with the rest of the group. I saw him begin to stand up out of the corner of my eye before getting past the doorway.

We walked into the basement of the bar and into a small room. We all sat down on the couch in the middle of the room with a huff.

"Vander learns NONE of this" Violet said as she put her fingers to her temple.