Chapter 12

TW

            Little Hyewon was sitting in her room floor playing with her toys when she hears a commotion outside. Being the overly curious child that she is, she stood up from the floor and walked towards her slightly ajar room door, kicking some of her toys along the way.

          As Hyewon slowly walked closer tothe door, the voices were getting louder and clearer. She can recognise those voices now, they were shouting, their voices resounding throughout the house. It was her Mother and Father.

          Hyewon stepped outside her room and walked towards the direction of their voices which is coming from their bedroom. Hyewon was only a foot when she heard a slap sound from the room. She hurriedly runs through the door, worry flowing through her.

          When a 6 years old Hyewon came bursting through the room with glistening eyes, the two adults in the room went silent. Hyewon's Mom was shocked to say the least, she didn't expect her child to just witness their fight.

           Hyewon looks at her Mom worriedly when she notices the red mark on her Mother's right cheek. Hyewon also noticed the way her Mom's eyes were red and there were tears drying up in her cheeks.

        "M-Mom? A-Are you okay?", Hyewon shakily asked her Mother, her voice was low and careful. "D-Did y-you and Dad f-fight?", Hyewon continued as she reached out her hand to her Mom, wanting to soothe her cheeks.

          Hyewon's Mom hastily wiped her tears and went down to match Hyewon's height. "No dear... Mommy and Daddy are just talking, okay? We're okay dear...", Hyewon's Mom said as she hugs her daughter.

          Hyewon looks up to her father while being engulfed in her mother arms. Donghyun was looking sternly at her, silently looking at them from a few meters away.

           "Go to your room now Hyewon-ah", Donghyun sternly said as he pointed towards the door, gesturing Hyewon to go out of their room. "Did you hurt Mom? Why did you hurt Mom?", Hyewon bravely said, her father's gaze not intimidating her.

          "Just fucking go! Before I lose my patience on you too!", Donghyun shouted at the little child, this caused Hyewon's Mom to face the latter and push him with all the force she can muster.

           "Don't you dare use those kind of language towards our child, Kang Donghyun!", Hyewon's Mom burst out as anger fills her. Hyewon hides behind her Mom and watches as her Father shout profanities at Hyewon and her Mom.

           Suddenly everything went black and little Hyewon was looking around only seeing pitch black everywhere. All of sudden, Hyewon hears a voice. The voice was of herself.

"You're the reason why they're fighting"

"You're so pathetic"

"You can't even protect your Mom"

"She left because of you, you pathetic little kid"

         With every second the voice gets louder until it was already echoing in her head. Little Hyewon covers her ears as she sits from all those overwhelming emotions rushing through her. She crawls as she cries out for her Mother.

"Hyewon?"

"Hyewon-ah!"

"Hyewon-ah! Wake up!"

"Wake up Hyewon!"

            Hyewon opens her eyes in surprise. She sees Dasom in front of her looking worriedly at her. "Hyewon-ah were you having a nightmare? You've been crying and screaming in your sleep and I got worried that's why I woke you up", Dasom worriedly said as she eyes Hyewon. Hyewon only nods and wipes her tears that fell on her cheeks.