𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Nova

Maddie's place wasn't all that big, so the girls stayed and the guys rented out a hotel room. May seemed reluctant to let Lewis do that, for obvious reasons, but he promised to call every hour until he fell asleep. Then in the morning, which was now, they'd be back. And they are.

"I made a really big decision, and I wanted to run it by your guys before I finalized it," Maddie insisted as the guys took off the shoes at the door. "What's up?" her cousin asked, "is it regarding Matt?"

Maddie nodded.

"Funeral preparation?" Hailey asked, and Maddie nodded, though she made a face while doing so.

"I decided to have him buried where he died," she said, prompting us to all look at her funny. "What?" I asked, "wouldn't you want him close by so you can like, visit his grave and shit?" Maddie shook her head. "Hear me out."

"I'm not saying it's a good thing he died," she said, "because obviously it isn't, but he died at a good time. Baby Aubrey is still way too young to remember him. So why bring him here and have to remind her that her father died?"

"Okay," I said, "so what's your plan gonna be when she asks about dad? Because you have a good 7 to 10 years before the inevitable happens Maddie."

"I don't know," Maddie said, "but I can always just convince her that I'd been a single mom my whole way here." Aubrey shook her head, "Madison she's a human" Aubrey said, "she's not an animal. She has a human brain and will literally get more intelligent as she grows. She'll know that it takes two-a man and a woman-to make her by the time she's 13."

Maddie sighed, "so what?" she asked, "I bring the body here, have it be buried here, and baby Aubrey grows up with unnecessary pain?"

"Maddie, the only way baby Aubrey can steer clear of knowing who Matt was, is if you were to start dating someone right now, and you stayed with them for the next eighteen years" Nick insisted. "Then you both would have to constantly lie to Aubrey, which I don't think you really wanna do."

"Think about it Maddie" my wife insisted, "because I get your point, but it's not the most flawless of plans. Baby Aubrey will eventually wonder where dad is, why does she only have a mom, and so on. She might even eventually do her own research, and trust me, you don't want her finding out on her own."

"On top of that Maddie" Lewis added, "it won't be painful for baby Aubrey. She can't mourn somebody that she doesn't have a memory of. The only thing that may happen, is she might feel left out during father daughter school activities."

"She won't ever be left out of those," Nick ensured, "because her second cousin Nick will always be here." Maddie smiled.

"I'll think about it" she insisted.

***

"This is gonna be a long shot," I said as Hailey, Zach, Aubrey, May, Lewis, Jason, and Nick all sat with me in Jason's hotel room eating Chinese, "but I think Maddie and Rico should get together." I guess I only suggested this so that Maddie could still go through with her whole "burying Matt in Tibet" thing. I didn't agree with it, but given Maddie's mental state I felt like it was best everybody just let her do as please. After all, Matt was her boyfriend and baby daddy.

"I'm leaving," Nick said, but Jason pulled him back down as he tried to stand up.

"What?" Aubrey asked Nick, "got a home-wrecking appointment for 10pm sharp?" Nick rolled his eyes, but didn't make any comment on what Aubrey said.

"Nova I don't even think we have to say anything, you know why that's not a good idea," Lewis stated.

"Yeah," May added, "I mean the dude literally stalked you, then embarrassed you publicly all because you didn't wanna be with him. He's controlling and a narcissist. That wouldn't be good for someone as damaged as Maddie is right now."

It was quiet for a moment, and I was debating whether or not to mention the fact that Rico came to Aubrey and I's home, and apologized to me. "Rico reached out to me," I finally said, after just saying "fuck it" in my head. Everybody, except for Aubrey, slowly looked over at me.

"When?" Jason asked, "and why?"

"I don't know, maybe a week or two ago?" I answered, "and he said he was sorry. He admitted it was wrong." Jason shrugged.

"Nova, I don't care if that man took you to the beach, gave you a gourmet candlelight dinner, then parted the Atlantic Ocean with his two hands. He's a piece of shit" Jason said, "don't let him show you that twice." Zach nodded, "well said."

"Yeah" I said, just, not really caring to be on the topic anymore. "You're right."