𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

Nova

𝐅𝐞𝐛𝐫𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟏𝟔, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

I had thought I heard a thud, but I assumed it was some shit in my sleep, so I closed my eyes again. After a moment or two, I heard that thud once more, so I slowly opened my eyes. I sat up and realized I had been on the couch, with the rest of the group surrounding me, when the thud was heard for a third time. This time, given the physical responses of my friends, I knew someone was at the door for sure. I yawned dramatically as Aubrey, Nick, May, and Jason slowly got up. Before I could make it to the door, a bang emerged once more, waking us all up.

"What the hell" Hailey groaned as Lewis wiped his mouth and May took her hair out of an elastic to get it out of its bed-head form. I opened the door and to my surprise, saw a police officer.

"Hi?" I answered in confusion as the officer peeked his head in without an invite.

"Hi," he firmly replied, "I was given a lead that revealed that a Lewis Tavares might be around here?" I made a face as my head slowly turned to face my friends, and we all looked at Lewis as a unit.

Lewis stood up, "I'm Lewis" he admitted, "may I ask what's going on?"

"You're being accused of rape, and I've been assigned to your case. We need to bring you down to the Tallahassee police station so that we can get a DNA sample or two from you" the officer voiced with little to no emotion, which startled me because I was no law major or anything, but I'm pretty sure that what the officer told Lewis was confidential information that needed to be said in private. An even bigger surprise than that, however, was that Lewis didn't question the officer or ask for any further details. Instead, he nodded and followed the officer out to his squad car. We all quickly rushed to the window to see what was going on.

Nick began putting on his jacket, and it seemed that Jason also got the memo. "Where are you two going?" I asked, and Nick looked at me as if the answer was obvious, which I can now see how it kind of was.

"Following them" Nick answered, "duh."

Jason nodded, "never leave your homie alone with the cops" he added, "especially if said homies black."

***

Hailey

I spent the day trying to call Zach, given that everybody was a mess and doing their own thing, but he didn't answer. I noticed maybe two weeks ago or so that he only answers my calls when he needs something, has absolutely nothing better to do, or if I'm up his ass begging for a call. Today was not the day that I'd be up his ass though, I was over that lover girl shit.

Everything was hostile and rocky here at the mansion. Lewis' results didn't come back yet, even though it's been a few hours and the officer had told Lewis it would take two hours max. We're all on our toes, waiting for a verdict on some DNA. Lewis has been adamant that he didn't do anything he shouldn't have. I can't tell if May believes him or not.

Out of boredom, I walked into a room that I had believed was empty. When I saw May and Lewis there sitting, talking previously I assumed, I attempted to step out. But Lewis saw me, and called me in, and I was stuck listening to whatever was going down. "I need your opinion on something" Lewis insisted, so I sat on the floor, as he and May were sitting on the queen-sized bed. There was ample room, but I'd feel weird sitting with them.