Birthday

Saira's POV:

It's been a month and half already since I came back to Kolkata. As we promised we are in contact. In spite of the different time zones, we never miss to talk to each other on call. If we have enough time, we face time each other and just stare at each other for how long I don't know. I love the fact that we never run out of topics, even if our words do not make any sense then also, we continue talking about anything and everything. He makes me lose count of time whenever I'm with him no matter virtually or physically.

His birthday is near and although I'm sad that I'm not with him, I've something in mind. There's only a week left for his birthday and I've to do it fast or else he won't get the surprise by his birthday. I rush out of the house to do my work and buy somethings.

........Time skip......

It's his birthday already in India but it's his birthday eve in London. I'm covered in flour and chocolate from head to toe and running around the kitchen. My mom will have a heart attack if she sees the condition of the kitchen. I check the time and it's 2:30 in the morning, yep you read it right 2:30 am. I sigh as I finish putting the last chocolate piece on the cake and let the icing and the cake cool down. I still have good two hours to chill as it is 10 pm in London. Sometimes I hate the time difference but it's ok; he probably thinks that I'm asleep by now. I go and freshen up and put on a fresh dress. Crys comes out of the room and says "I love your enthusiasm and your will power to sacrifice your dear sleep" I laugh at her comment. I know it is a bit crazy but come on a birthday comes only once a year, right?

After lazily spending my time, I check the time it's 4:25 am, 5 more mins to go. I take out the cake from the refrigerator and set the candles on top of it, I click a picture and wait for it too turn 4:29 so I can call. As soon as it turns 4:29, I unlock my phone, search his contact and click on the videocall icon. It starts ringing and I get very anxious, I don't know why. He picks up the call and his face pops up, I can hear loud music playing in the background. I smile seeing his face but he looks concerned. The first thing he says "Are you okay? Is everything all right? You are calling me at 4:30 in the morning" I chuckle hearing his words and say "Happy birthday Nigi" simultaneously I hear everyone shouting a 'Happy Birthday Nigel'. He looks at me and sighs and then look back and shouts a "Thank you guys, Give me two mins". He turns back to me and says "God, you scared me, I thought something wrong happened. Thank you so much for staying up till dawn but you shouldn't have done that Sai" I give him a bored expression and say "C'mon Nigi don't be such a buzzkill, it's your birthday, of course I would stay up to wish you." He just shakes his head and walks towards the crowd and says "Stay with me, let me cut the cake". I grin as he doesn't know about my surprise yet. He goes there and mutters a sorry. He cuts the cake and the whole crowd cheers. He cuts a piece and feed it to his family and then walk towards his room to talk. He enters and close the door and then shows me the tiny piece of cake in his hand and says "I'm eating it on your behalf" I laugh and say "That's not needed I guess; I already have a surprise for you wait." I go and set the camera in a position so he can see the cake and he gasp. I light up the candles and say let me blow the candles and cut the cake for you" He smiles and nods. I asked him to make a wish, he closes his eyes and then opens it, I blow the candles and cut the cake singing a happy birthday and we both laugh. I put the piece in front of the camera and repeat his words "I'm eating it on your behalf". He laughs and shakes his head. I smile eating the cake and say "It actually turned out pretty good, I'm so proud of me". He looks at me with narrowed eyes and says "C'mon you didn't make that cake" I say "Of course I made it, who else did you think?" he says "I thought you bought it, my goodness Sai, you are unbelievable". I say "I know I'm great. Now look on your bed and you will find a surprise, open it. "

Cake made by Saira

Cake made by Saira

He frowns but does what I said. He walks to his bed and lift the gift up, unwraps it and then gasps and says "No way you did that Sai. Are you kidding me !!" I shrug and say "I hope you like it". He says "Like it? I fuckin love it! But how did you do it?"

I tell him what I did a week ago "Well, I wanted to gift you something on your birthday but I didn't know what to give as you already have everything and I can't gift you some expensive watch or a clothing item. So, I went with a creative gift idea. We had so many good memories captured in so many pictures of our whole vacation with the whole family so I decided to make a collage photo frame where you will have a picture with all of us and you can keep it as one of your India trip memories forever. And you know I love writing so I made that small scrap book with pictures, notes, small quotes, a few lines from me and a poem that I wrote for you long time ago.. Then I went and posted it on overseas courier and aunty helped me by receiving it and keeping it a secret from you till your birthday. And I asked her to keep in in your room. Thanks to her.

I was really scared that maybe it won't be such a good birthday gift but I think you liked it and I'm so happy for that." I end my story telling with a huge grin.

Saira's surprise gift

Birthday scrapbook made by Saira

He looks at me as if he is gonna tear up any moment. I can say he was definitely happy by looking at his eyes and what other emotions, I didn't really understand.

He suddenly says "You know you are so special and precious to me Sai. I guess this was the most thoughtful gift on my birthday, better than any expensive, branded items. You make me fall for you more with each passing day. Thank you for everything, I love you"

I kinda freeze listening to his last words. It's too early to just say he loves me. I know he likes me but there's a huge difference between like and love that I've known from my past experience. I shrug it off by thinking he probably didn't mean it in that way. Friends say I love you too right, it's just like that; stop overthinking Saira.

I swiftly recover from my state of shock and say "I'm so glad you liked it. Anyways I won't hold you up anymore. Go enjoy your party and I'll go back to sleep. *yawns* Goodnight to you and good morning to me". He laughs and says "Yeah have some rest, I'll call you back tomorrow, I mean later today. Hehe."

Yawning again I mutter a 'Bye'.

He waves his hand and say 'Bye'.

After hanging up, I quickly smudge his name on the cake so that everyone will think I just made a cake and not for him specifically. I put it in the refrigerator again and go to bed, content with my plan being successful.

I can't wait to welcome tomorrow's sunshine with a grinning face...