decision time

"You feeling ok this morning," Jaques asked Mae lightly as they laid in bed after the lights turned on the next morning

"Yeah babe, thanks," Mae smiled and placed a delicate kiss on his lips and then his nose before heading upstairs. The main talk of the terrace was the Ekin Su and Jay confrontation, before everyone looked toward Mae for her take. 

"It's really a very awkward situation," the blonde shrugged. "Like, I don't like Jay that way, and I thought he saw that sibling relationship as well but I guess not. For me the most important thing is that Jaques and I are ok, so."

The girls got ready for the day, and Mae found herself having a quiet morning. She knew there were things going on, but she was just staying out of it. The day was broken up by Charlie getting the chance to take two girls to the hot tub, taking Ekin and Tasha. The girls got Ekin Su ready for her date, before heading back to the garden. 

As Mae went to head towards Jaques, she was called over by Jay and decided to bite the bullet and headed to the lounge chairs and sat down with him. "How are you then?"

"Been a little bit awkward don't you think," Mae laughed uncomfortably. 

"Yeah, I wanted to come chat to you because obviously I talked with Jaques and Ekin Su, but I do think you are the girl in here right now that I want to get to know."

"Ok so first off," Mae sat up straight. "I'm glad you were respectful by going to chat with Ekin. But for future reference, girls do not need anyones permission to have conversations with other guys. So next time, maybe tell the girl you're interested before pulling the other guy, it's gross."

Jay's eyes were wide, but he nodded as Mae continued. "Secondly, and I say this as nicely as possible, I literally consider you like a brother," she sighed. "Like you're a great friend, but I just don't see anything at all romantic between us."

"You wouldn't even be open to trying?" He shifted around. 

"Jay, we've been in here for a chunk of time," Mae sighed sympathetically. "don't you think if we had a romantic spark it would've popped up by now? It's not like we've never spent time together."

"We'll never know if we don't try," Jay spoke, and the two were interrupted by Ekin returning from her date and Tasha heading off. In the small bit of chaos, Mae took the time to slip off to go join Indiyah, Gemma and Ekin Su to talk about the woman's date. The girls chatted for a bit before Tasha came out as well, and the girls gathered to talk with both of them.

The girls spent some time chatting before going back to their afternoon activities. After a few hours of tanning, swimming and napping, the islanders went inside to get ready for the evening. As everyone came into the garden, they were able to toast for the evening before Indiyah's phone rang. 

"Islanders, tonight there will be a recoupling where the boys will choose the girls they would like to couple up with," the islanders looked around a bit in shock. The group knew there were a few wild cards for the evening, so Mae took a moment to go and grab Jaques. 

"How you feeling then?" the boy asked her as they settled into a couch. 

"So obviously I chatted with Jay today," Mae explained. "And like, I made my disinterest pretty clear. And I know you think there needs to be some sort of test for us, but it's not a test to force yourself to explore other connections you know? Like if something was there, it's there, but I know it's not, so why would I entertain it?"

"I hear ya," he ran a hand over her head, looking into her eyes. "I just want you to feel sure. Like I think it would take a lot to even get my head to angle let alone turn."

"Me too," Mae murmured as she leaned over to press a soft kiss to his lips. The two looked up as they heard Danica's voice echo across the villa, reading the text out to gather the islanders at the fire pit. Luca started them off, everyone grinning as he and Gemma were reunited. Dami and Indiyah coupled next, before it was Jay's turn.

Paige squeezed Mae's hand as the brunette went to speak. "So I want to couple up with this girl, because since I've come in here, there has been something there on my end. And with how things have gone the last few days, I feel like I need to explore that. So, the girl I want to couple up with is, 

Mae."

The blonde sighed heavily as Paige squeezed her hand again, the blonde walking over, stopping to press a kiss to Jaques lips as she passed him, before sitting down next to Jay.

"I honestly was not expecting that at all," she said in the beach hut. "Like I thought I had shut it down, but I guess it didn't work."

"Definitely a little shit to have the girl you like get taken by another guy," Jaques laughed in the beach hut. "Especially after our chat, but that's how it is isn't it."

Charlie went on to couple up with Ekin Su, then Andrew chose Tasha. Davide shocked the group when he chose Antigoni after kissing Danica the night before, which left Jaques and Danica coupled. As the islander got up to walk away after the new couples were settled, Mae went over to sit next to Jaques. 

"We'll be fine," he said as she sat down facing him. "I'm not stopping anything with you, that's for sure."

"Good, I'm glad we're on the same page," Mae smiled as she leaned over to kiss him. That night, as the girls were upstairs getting ready for bed, Mae found herself sitting in the living room with Jaques.

"So what do you think makes our connection so strong," Mae smirked at Jaques. 

"I mean, we're basically best friends aren't we," he laughed. "And I've said that that's what I wanted in my girl. We're always laughing and I can just see how you would fit into my life outside, and I'm like looking forward to exploring that."

"I agree," she smiled, leaning forward to kiss him again. The two pulled apart as they heard the door opening, Mae looking over her shoulder and seeing Jay come in.

"I mean, he already knew he was barking up the wrong tree," Mae shrugged.