stairwell talks

"How was your night with Jay babe," Paige asked Mae the next morning as the girls gathered in the bedroom as it was too hot for them to brave the terrace

"As bad as this sounds, we haven't even spoken yet," she laughed uncomfortably. "I'm just in the spot where I want to be angry, because we had a conversation where I said how I felt about him, and then he picked me, but also he has to do what he has to do. But I just know it's not going to happen you know?" the girls all nodded. 

"How was Jaques feeling?" Indiyah asked. 

"That boy," Mae shook her head. "He is as cool as a cucumber. We literally fell asleep holding hands last night and my heart was doing all kinds of shit," the girls all laughed. The girls continued chatting through things before going to get ready for the day. 

As they hung out in the garden, the girls could feel the tension between Tasha and Andrew. The blonde pretty much immediately pulled Luca and Dami for a chat, seeming to be pretty upset. Mae kept to herself in the kitchen before she heard heavy footsteps behind her. 

"Mae?" Jay asked. "Can we have a chat?"

"Sure," she followed him over to the sun loungers. "You alright?"

"Yeah, I mean I know last night was a little awkward but I did want to just pull you and see how you're feeling," the brunette stared into Mae's soul it felt like.

"I mean, we had that chat yesterday and nothing really has changed," Mae played with her hair. "I just haven't felt that way about you. Obviously I'm happy to chat, but for me it is not romantic it's as mates, and I feel bad for saying that but-"

"No, don't apologize," he shook his head. "I had to just go with my gut there and maybe it won't work out, but I had to."

"Yeah I understand that, I just hope we can still be friends," Mae half smiled, accepting the half hug he offered before getting up and heading over to the kitchen where Ekin Su and Gemma were sitting. The two girls laughed at the look on the Scottish girl's face, but didn't ask as the girl immediately began asking about the girl's favorite type of sandwich. 

The group messed around for the rest of the day before getting ready for the evening. Mae found herself sitting on one of the couches with Indiyah and Gemma, the girls both looking at her. 

"What!" the blonde laughed. 

"Are you going to speak with Jay tonight? Or are you going to hide?" Gemma smirked. 

"Listen, we chatted today. I'll speak to him if he wants to pull me, but I can't force a romantic connection, and when my connection with Jaques was pretty much instantaneous, not having that with Jay just makes me be at the point where I know which connection is stronger already."

"So are you open to it?" Indiyah pressed. 

"With Jay, not really just because I don't feel that spark," Mae frowned. "If my absolute dream boat of a guy came in tomorrow, would I speak with him? Yeah, I know I would be dumb not to. But with Jay it just isn't there."

The girls chatted for a few more minuted before the man of the hour came over and asked Mae for a chat. "You alright?" she asked as they sat down on a couch.

"Yeah, just maybe feeling a bit silly," Jay laughed as he took a sip of his drink.

"Don't feel silly," Mae shook her head. "At the end of the day, you did what you thought was right, and however that works out, it was the right decision for you in that moment. No one can fault you for that." The two's conversation was interrupted by the announcement that Dami and Indiyah were going on their first date. 

The group all got super rowdy, the girls running upstairs to help Indiyah get touched up before the couple headed out. As the islanders went back to the garden, Mae was pulled to one of the tables by Jaques, him sitting on a bar stool and pulling her between his legs. 

"You still like me?" Jaques peered up at her with a cheeky smile, the blonde shoving his face with a laugh.

"Maybe not for long," she shook her head as she let him pull her body into hers, wrapping her in a hug. 

"I was sitting there like hurry up will ya," he laughed as Mae pulled back to look down at him.

"Why didn't you just come get me babe?" Mae cupped his cheeks.

"Nah, you need to get to know the lad," Jaques shrugged. "I reckon it will be hard for ya."

"Jaques, this one isn't hard for me," Mae shook her head with a little smile, glancing down at him before kissing him softly.

"You make me feel like a total sop," Jaques pulled her in so he could bury his head in her shoulder. The two stood there cuddling before they heard the shouting announcing Dami and Indiyah's return. The two split into their groups, listening to the positive reports from the two's date. After a little bit, the islanders all headed into the villa to get ready for bed. 

Mae smiled at Jaques as she came into the bedroom, taking the time to press a kiss to his lips before laying down in the bed next to him. As the lights went out, the two were laid on their side facing each other. Mae had just closed her eyes when she heard shuffling from his bed, peeking out to see him sitting. When he saw her eyes open, he gestured for her to follow him, and the two creeped out to the stairway.

"Whats going on?" the blonde asked as he sat a step above her.

"I just was laying there, and thinking how much I didn't want to lay my cards on the table with you and show you I cared," the boy revealed. "Like in the past, I feel like I have never been with a girl where I wanted to tell her how much I cared, and I felt that with you. And it just has thrown me off. Like it bothers me now."

"Why would it bother you to be open with your emotions?" Mae asked.

"I think because I'm just realising how much I do care about ya," he explained. "Like tonight, even with you telling me those things, seeing the two of you chatting and you in bed with him makes me angry. Like I'm scared to lose ya."

"You don't think I'm scared to lose you?" she stood up and sat on his knee. "You don't think I worry that some bomb will walk in here and just sweep you off your feet? That's what having feelings for someone is all about, being scared to lose them. But you just need to trust in what we have, like you have nothing to worry about with me."

"I believe you, I do," Jaques wrapped his arms around her waist. "I genuinely haven't felt like this before in my life." 

"Jaques," Mae fought back a smile. "I haven't either. Like, you are everything I could've asked the love island gods for." Jaques searched her eyes in the dim lighting before smiling lightly, the two sharing a soft kiss.