Ch 1: That Old Dusty Trail (Part 1)

Deep in the Great West of the States, there was a small mining town called Silver Springs. It was called that because the mines there were so rich with silver that it ran like water. But the issue was it was so far out that very few people ever went there. Even if the silver was easy picking. But Silas was not there for silver, Silas was there because of his father.

Silas's father Memphis West was a very rich man on the East coast. Apparently in the past Memphis had his life saved by the sheriff of Silver Springs. In turn, he promised the sheriff the most valuable thing he had for saving his life. That's where Silas came in, he was his father's only omega son and so he was deemed as a 'valuable thing'. So, Silas was sent to silver springs to become the mate and husband of the alpha sheriff.

Or at least that's what Silas had been instructed to say. The whole situation was a mess, and he was not happy about it. He wasn't a pawn to marry off to whoever his father pleased nor was he something to hideaway. Silas swore silently to himself that once his father had some sense back in his head Memphis would never hear the end of it. In the meantime, he was sure to promise himself that this Reagan would only become a bad faded memory.

But when Silas stepped off the train onto the platform, he looked around not seeing the greasy alpha man he imagined. He imagined when he arrived an older man smelling of tobacco and whisky with bad breath would be there waiting for him. But there was not such an alpha in sight. Save for Silas there were only two other people present, which were two beta men loading up chicken feed in canvas bags into the back of their wagon.

"Did he forget to send notice that I was coming?" Silas groaned, he adjusted his hat and looked around. He spotted a pair of beta men loading up a wagon with supplies. "Excuse me, I'd like to get a ride to Silver Springs! I'm here to meet the sheriff!" He called walking over, his heels clicked on the boarding platform at served as a train stop for Silver Springs.

The two men stopped working as soon as the word 'sheriff' was out of Silas's mouth. "You're here to meet Sheriff Reagan?" One man asked amused, "Yes I'm here to meet Reagan." Silas replied, a bit snippily, he was quite tired after all. He had been spending the last week hiding, looking over his shoulder, and riding that damn train across the country. "I have something important I need to talk to Reagan about-." He started to say but was cut off by the other man laughing. "Good luck! Reagan's all over the place." The other one chuckled, "What is it Reagan's doing now?" the first one asked, "Last I heard Reagan's trying to get those loose cattle back to the Hatfield farm." The other one replied.

"Why would the sheriff be dealing with something like loose animals?" Silas asked surprised, "Reagan deals with everything around here save for the church. Probably best we don't let the sheriff near the pulpit anyway." The first man spoke up, "We don't even have a mayor we just got Sheriff Reagan." The second man said chiming in, "We can take you to the sheriff's office though. Reagan's bound to show up there sometime soon." The first man spoke up. "Thank you ever so much. I greatly appreciate it." Silas said relieved, he had been expecting to be riding in the front with the gentlemen he was speaking to...

But he ended up in the back with the chicken feed in the end. Silas let out a rough sigh and was just about to complain when he heard shouting and cow mooing. "Heeyah!" A shout echoed as a bull bellowed. Silas looked over and saw a woman on top of a charging bull with hundreds of cows behind her.

"Who on Earth is that moron!?" Silas exclaimed as the herd ran parallel to them by a hundred yards. The ground shook under the weight of hundreds of hooves the men upfront laughed at Silas's reaction. "That would be our sheriff." One man said turning around as the other kept stirring the wagon. "That's Reagan?!" Silas exclaimed just as the bull began bucking, Reagan took off her hat and held it keeping on the bull without any issue. "She's insane!" He said horrified.