Ch 1: That Old Dusty Trail (Part 4)

Content Warning: Gun shots, blood, fight scenes, abuse, misogyny, predatory behavior

Silas stared at the dirty form of Reagan only a few days later, his mind brought back to that moment as she came in covered in dirt and dust. "I let you do your rounds by yourself and you come back like this?" He complained, the old hound dog was even covered in the same dirt. The dog shook the dirt off getting it everywhere, "Juno!" He complained while coughing.

"Let me do my rounds he says." Reagan rolled her eyes, "Reagan Blake." Silas snapped, his hands on his hips, Silas had been nice enough to do some dusting around here and Reagan just ruined all his hard work. "Silas Blake," Reagan replied raising one brow. Silas felt his lips twitch, he fought back a smile, yes that was his name now but she couldn't say it so easily! He felt the sharp sting of embarrassment when he saw amusement in Reagan's eyes. "Silas." "Shut up." Silas instantly snapped. "Come on Silas give your old wife a hug," Reagan said slowly approaching him with open arms. "Stay away from me." Silas slowly backed away.

"Come on just a little hug..." Reagan backed Silas into her desk and stood in front of him. Silas closed his eyes and waited for his dusty fate but felt soft lips on his forehead. Reagan had started kissing him on the forehead after Silas had done it the first time just the other night. "Now you know better than that." Reagan spoke pulling away, "Don't worry your pretty little head, I won't be getting any of your little fancy outfits dirty." She said in a soft affectionate tone.

That tone had become increasingly more common as the days went on here in Silver Springs. It was almost comical how Reagan could switch from cursing someone up and down the street in one breath and talking so sweetly to Silas in another. Of course, that was only when the two of them weren't bickering. Despite the increased closeness between them, the two of them still bickered and argued often.

Silas felt his face burning as Reagan walked off to go get cleaned up followed by Juno. It was nearly a couple of months living here in Silver Springs and Silas had settled in pretty well. Within that month Silas's safety had only been threatened twice, beyond that. Nothing much happened, he spent his days with Reagan going around town sometimes and other times staying at the sheriff's office.

Reagan had encouraged him to get out and do things, but Silas liked staying at the office. It was much better than baking directly in the hot sun. He had found himself looking through Reagan's paperwork and realized that Reagan had been doing mayoral duties on top of being sheriff. In fact, most of what she did was just that.

So he spent his time managing finances for the town just as a little favor for Reagan. Something she was surprised by but happy about. Silas didn't like to brag but he was very good with numbers. Something he proudly talked about in front of Reagan. He liked the feeling he got when she called him smart and pretty.

The feelings... The soft tickling in his heart grew the more time he spent with Reagan. She was rough around the edges but sweet. The two of them argued and bickered until their faces were blue but at the end of the day, Silas would be curled up next to her in the nest. While he wasn't scared of being alone any longer. He did keep up some half-hearted excuse of needing to appear like an actual couple.

It was an excuse that both of them agreed upon, a silly little lie they both knew about. If it had been just about looking like a couple. Reagan wouldn't hold him so sweetly at night. She wouldn't lay there waiting until he woke up before getting up all because Silas once complained about not wanting to wake up alone.

Silas sat down at the desk in the office going over paperwork again. Reagan would want to go over it, he was sure. He made sure everything was in order. Silas felt a presence behind him and looked up seeing Reagan standing there. She was clean now with a towel around her shoulders. "That water is freezing." She complained, "Then don't get dirty." Silas replied with a smile.