Ch 2: The Sire (Part 7)

Content Warning: Implied suicidal ideation

"But also, there's your grandmother's birthday." Penelope added clearing her throat once more, "We could all go together and use that as an excuse to get you both over there before Cecil starts to show." Penelope added, Cecil nodded looking like he liked the idea. "We'll get married over there too." Cecil continued, Penelope made a sour face. "I don't think that's a good idea." She spoke carefully, "What should we do?" Cecil questioned his mother.

"Have a wedding out of state!" Penelope declared happily. Esme and Cecil stared at Penelope. "Out of state?" Esme asked, "Esme don't you want your family at your wedding?" Penelope questioned, "Besides it'll be hard to get a proper officiant in the Empire, your religion is a bit of a minority there." Penelope continued. "Not like that changes anything," Esme replied bluntly, her family's people were a minority everywhere.

"Yes well, it's still important. Lilly always told me how much she wanted to see you have a proper wedding!" Penelope stressed, "Would you be okay with Cecil having a wedding like that?" Esme questioned, "Of course!" Penelope exclaimed looking excited. "Well, there's a lot of planning to do," Esme remarked feeling her cheeks burning. Cecil looked over at her and smirked, "What?" Esme asked, "Nothing." Cecil replied with an ever-growing smile, Esme looked over at Penelope who seemed amused as well. "What?" Esme asked feeling the heat in her face grow.

"You're too cute Esme." Penelope giggled, "Look at her she's practically glowing with excitement." Cecil teased, "You want to marry me just as badly." Esme sneered, Cecil smiled at her, "Of course, you have to make me an 'honest' man." Cecil teased, narrowing her eyes, Esme for a moment considered jokingly threatening to call the marriage off. But... That would hurt Cecil too much. "Ah well, you can tease me if you want to." Esme relented accepting her fate. "And I plan to," Cecil spoke in a light-hearted tone, he was certainly different from how nervous he was just this morning.

After the conversation with Penelope, Esme's family, and Penelope worked closely together in planning the wedding. While normally they would've picked a date, there was a very small window to manage this. The plan was that during Michael's upcoming business trip upstate, they'd have a wedding in a venue just outside of Franklinite Port. Then shortly after the wedding, they'd be on a boat headed to the Empire. The plan was to stay there for three years, while they just needed the two to make sure Michael couldn't legally annul the marriage. The extra year would give them a chance to get an Imperial marriage certificate.

Something that wasn't so easily broken and outside of Michael's reach.

Within the next few weeks, they got to work putting the wedding together. For Esme's background, it was not a simple affair either. Franklinite Port was chosen because there was more of her side of the family there. While it wouldn't be as big as her wedding ideally should be, it would still be a good size affair with at least twenty people not counting Esme's immediate family, Cecil, and Penelope.

Today Esme and Cecil had a brief moment alone, in the last couple of weeks a bump had started to form on Cecil's stomach. Almost unnoticeable to everyone else but Esme who knew Cecil's body best spotted it as soon as it started to form. In Cecil's room, Esme softly rested her head on Cecil's stomach marveling at the sounds inside. "It's not that interesting Esme." Cecil sighed, Esme understood his frustration, she had been doing this for fifteen minutes. "I disagree," Esme remarked with a smile on her lips, she reached under Cecil's shirt rubbing his stomach softly. She felt a tingling in the palm of her hand and her eyes softened.

Her baby.

How could anyone hate this wonderful little one? She couldn't help but lament, she heard Cecil let out a soft breath, "Your hand is cold." he complained, "Sorry." Esme lifted her head deciding to stop now. She sat up removing her hand from Cecil's stomach, "I'm just amazed by what you're doing." Esme spoke a bit sheepishly. Cecil set the book he had been reading aside and his annoyed expression softened. "Come on now, don't droop those puppy dog ears. You're not in trouble." he teased, "Puppy dog?" Esme asked feeling her eye twitch. "Should I call you a big bad wolf?" Cecil teased, "I'd rather you'd just call me your wife." Esme grumbled feeling her cheeks burn.