Ch 1: That Old Dusty Trail (Part 2)

Content Warning: Mentions of abuse, misogyny, and religious trauma

Silas followed Reagan out of the sheriff's office and into the main street of Silver Springs. Yesterday on his way in he didn't get much of a chance to look at everything. It was going to be nice to get a better look at what the small town had to offer. Without saying anything, he walked over towards Reagan as he looked around. He silently wrapped his arms around one of hers. "Can I help you with something?" She asked confused as they stood on the porch of the sheriff's office.

"Well, you can't very well expect me to walk around without an escort, do you?" Silas asked as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "You're a grown man why in Sam hell would you need an escort?!" Reagan was just exasperated. "It's only proper! Though I suppose you wouldn't know much about it." Silas replied snidely with a dirty look, those were the rules on how to do things, what was so hard to understand?

"No, I wouldn't." Reagan replied shaking her head, "Needing a damn escort to cross the road." She grumbled to herself, "Omegas don't do nothing for themselves back east." She complained looking down at Juno who grunted in response. "I'm standing right here." Silas sighed, "Nah? Really Silas? I thought you'd need permission to listen too." Reagan replied sarcastically.

Silas smacked her arm annoyed, "There's nothing wrong with following a little etiquette!" He complained, "Well you beating my arm sure as hell isn't polite!" Reagan complained as they began walking down the street. "Oh, quiet you!" Silas exclaimed, "That's not very proper to yell now Silas." Reagan scolded, "Shut up already!" Silas was at his wits end.

The two of them argued and bickered before arriving at their destination, a man in priest garb stood in front of a church. "Ah Sheriff there you are!" He greeted excitedly, "Father." Reagan replied stiffly. "Who might this be?" His eyes landed on Silas; it wasn't a surprise he was a new face.

"I'm Silas West, though now I suppose my name is a little different these days." Silas introduced himself, he looked over at Reagan subtly, Reagan stared at him and there was slight smile on her lips. He narrowed his eyes in response, she wasn't seriously trying to get him to say her last name? He didn't read the paperwork! They just met!

"Father, I'd like you to meet the new Mr. Blake, Silas this is Father O'Malley, he runs the church in Silver Springs." Reagan introduced the two, "I'm taking Silas around town to get him used to everything." Reagan explained with a friendly smile. "Of course, Mr. Silas you're always welcome at the church on Sundays and Wednesdays! It'd be nice to have someone from the Blake family in the pews!" Father O'Malley said smiling at Silas.

"I've already said it once before Father, you don't want me in one of your pews. It's for the best." Reagan replied frankly, "Well it would've been nice to officiate your wedding! After all, it's not every day that you get married, Sheriff! Plus, weddings are special days for omegas!" The priest insisted his eyes remaining on Silas.

Reagan stepped in front of Silas blocking O'Malley's view of him. "How do you know we ain't already had a ceremony father? I did go out East just a little while ago, Silas and I had our wedding near his family. He's just been getting everything sorted out before coming here." Reagan lied straight to the priest's face. "Is that so?" O'Malley tried to look at Silas again leaning every which way, but Reagan blocked him.

"Yessir that's correct, now if you don't mind, I've got a bit more to show Silas. Silver Springs isn't very big, but it takes at least a day to introduce him to everyone." Reagan spoke, the holy man let out a breath and sighed, "Of course, you two be safe and blessings on your new union!" O'Malley spoke in a happy tone, Reagan escorted Silas away looking disgusted. She ignored the blessing completely not even saying thank you.